Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Filter Housing Issue

I changed my oil on the weekend but I think I got the oil ring on the wrong groove. I've got an oil leak under operation but not with car sitting and engine off. My question is: How much oil will I lose if I remove the filter housing and reset the O ring into the right slot? I'm wondering how far up into the sump the oil filter housing sits and how much of the oil is below this level. The car is parked for the winter now so this can wait until spring as it doesn't leak while sitting there, but if it's easier to just pop the plug out and drain it all into the oil pan then so be it - I just hate to have to transfer the whole load back and forth like this next year if un-screwing the filter housing will only cost me a couple of quarts. Next time I'll watch the hell what I'm doing when putting on that O ring instead of taking cell calls while under the car! The silly thing is: there are two wider slots on the housing, one right up close and under the lip (where I placed it) and another the same size slot a little below. You'd think Porsche would have ONE slot for the O ring only? Not getting why there are two to make a mistake from unless at some point the orig design had two O rings instead of the current one? I've still got the older O ring and it's in perfect condition - wonder what happens if you use two O rings? My bet is it wouldn't seat right or req more torque.

Thanks

• Moderators

You will lose less than a quart, most of which will be inside the plastic filter housing when you remove it. If you are careful, just obtain a replacement filter and o-ring (in case you have cut or pinched the original one), unscrew the filter housing and lower it straight down (remember, it is full of oil), remove the old o-ring and filter, correctly put on the new filter and o-ring, and put the housing back on, re-torque it to specs. You will be back in business with little loss of oil and will only be out the cost of the filter………………..