Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Different brand winter tire front and rear

Guys,

'98 Boxster 5 speed with factory 17" wheels.

Long story made real short: Today I mounted General Altimax Arctic 225/45 on the rears; upfront are (excellent with one season's use) 205/55 Dunlop Winter Sports so each axle has the same tire, but they are different front to rear. On the highway driving home (dry but cold conditions) the car felt "squirrely" almost like it was swaying with each movement of the steering wheel. It felt better on surface streets, but nothing like summer tires. The car didn't feel as stable.

This is my first time driving on winter tires so I do not know what to expect, but it does not feel right.

The rears are narrower than the stock summer tires, would that have anything to do with it or could it be the different brands front to rear?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edited by spg356

Don't know for sure but winter tires may have a harder tread compound making them more susceptible to any road irregularities like hard soled shoes, they won't catch you with a misstep. The solution might be to have your alignment checked. your normal soft street tires might be hiding some imperfections in your alignment. among other things, poor alignment can' make for a twitchy car.

Regards, PK

Always put the same make/model snow tire on all four corners.

http://www.tirerack.....jsp?techid=164

"Install SP Winter Sport tires in sets of four only."http://www.tirerack....SP+Winter+Sport

Both sources have an incentive to sell you more tires.

Tirerack's article discusses mounting all-season on one axle and winter tires on the other, not two brands of winter tires.

The differences between summer and all-season and between all-season and winter tires are significant on snow and ice. Are there any sources that cite independent tests to show that the difference in winter tires is that different?

How old are the tires (sidewall date)? Temperature?

Guys,

Thanks for the replies,

Alignment was good when tires were switched, but I will have that rechecked.

Mike,

All 4 tires are less than 2 years old, temps have been around freezing. Also, pressure is 29 front 36 rear.

Any other thoughts appreciated!!!

Regards,

I bought a set of used wheels and tires for the winter for my Boxster. The front and rear tires are different. They work great, and I've never had the problem you described. It sounds like either alignment, or something is worn in your suspension somewhere.