Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 with LS1 engine conversion

This is really interesting. I've never seen a conversion where the car feels "right" or doesn't have several quirks and am not sure if this is just because they weren't done correctly to begin with or what. Looks good on paper though - or at least on the forum. Can't argue with the economic factor or reliability of the Chevy engine either - those things are pretty bulletproof. I have to agree a solid conversion would be worth $$$'s so will be interesting to see where this goes... I love the innovation!!!

I too am very impressed.

Question: Will it pass SMOG in Ca?

Cheers!

This is the next hurdle. I've installed all of the smog equipment from the LS1 engine and have to take the car to the Califonia BAR referee to be inspected. There are several smog legal 944 LS1 conversions running around in California so I expect to be able to get it done.

This is really interesting. I've never seen a conversion where the car feels "right" or doesn't have several quirks and am not sure if this is just because they weren't done correctly to begin with or what. Looks good on paper though - or at least on the forum. Can't argue with the economic factor or reliability of the Chevy engine either - those things are pretty bulletproof. I have to agree a solid conversion would be worth $$$'s so will be interesting to see where this goes... I love the innovation!!!

You're spot on - the car has to feel like OEM and not have any of the quirks. The car feels solid and all of the accessories work like they should, which of course was the goal of the project. Thanks to this forum I was even able to unlock the CDR-220!

The cool thing is that I haven't driven my normal daily driver at all since I put this together :)

Wow I was watching the build of the other guys swap for awhile and was eager to see it finished, and BAM you beat him. :)

Great job!!! Would love to see more detailed photos. Any plans on coming out with a kit (wiring, mounts, bellhousing, and detailed instructions)??? I would buy a kit and I know lot's of other guys who would. I created Silviav8forums for guys who like to put LSx engines into 240sx's so this really appeals to me.

Anyways awesome job!

Thanks! Sent you a PM regarding kits.

At least the parts will be affordable!

That's right, and the aftermarket support for these is huge.

If you could send me that PM about the kits, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also wondering if this kind of conversion is doable on a Boxster.

Regards, Maurice.

• 1 year later...

Hey, Brianjw4.

Great build! I am close to starting my own. I have my eyes on a 2001 996 Carrera that I can get for a good price. The car comes with a bad engine due to IMS failure. The 6 speed is good, and all else appears to be in great shape. This is a first-time build for me. Could you give me a break down on the cost to build your car? Also, are you offering your engine mount system and other components, as well as info on how to connect the 996 and LS engine computers? I have considered using Renegade Hybrid's stuff. Any info you provide would be great!

Again, you did a masterful job on your car!