Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 with LS1 engine conversion

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and thought I would share my project that is now pretty much completed with the exception of a few minor details. I know some purists may not like the idea of this, but it's worked out great and I put it together from scratch in less than 30 days thanks to a bulk of vacation time that I was required to take :)

Basically I purchased a '99 996 minus engine and trans from LA dismantlers with the intention of installing the LS1 in it. I purchased and g96 trans and an bellhousing adaptor and used a 50k mile LS1 motor I already had for another project. Then I fabbed up a new engine cradle, trans mount, and exhaust system for the LS1. The goal and my own requirement was to keep all existing functions and I've accomplished that by using both the porsche and LS1 computers. So the climate control, gauges, power accessories etc work like they did from the factory. It was pretty easy to utilize the existing relay functions on the car because the computers both typically use grounds to enable power to components.

The car runs great and I'm looking forward to getting more seat time in it. And now for some pictures :)

Here's what it looked like when it arrived:

102.jpg

After buying lots of parts here's what the car looks like now. You can see the exhaust tips I made as part of the exhaust system - pretty basic but I think they look good.

IMG_1789.jpg

And here is the engine:

IMG_1791.jpg

Thanks, I figured the response could go either way. I have seen a few threads about it and some had said it wouldn't work, so nothing like a challenge!

There is five inches of clearance between the ground and oil pan. The engine I used is from a 2000 camaro, which has a relatively low profile oil pan. Could probably do a little better with a dry sump setup, but since the pan hangs down about a quarter inch from the suspension cross member I think it will work perfectly.

Brian:

While this may not appeal to some purists, that is one impressive accomplishment! clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

Aside from the obvious challenge in getting it to physically fit it there, it boggles my mind to see that you have been able to get the DME/CPU units to work together. If you only look at some of the threads here and on other forums, you will see that even something as comparatively minor as a CEL causes major headaches.

The real bonus for you is that, unlike the rest of us, you never have to be concerned about the IMS bearing and the can of worms that surrounds that issue!!!

Regards, Maurice.

please dont take my earlier joking as anyway being a putdown of this engineering feat. Only joking about the names for the car, for sure not about the accomplishment. I would never have thought this was possible. So, Brian, what's the weight ratio of the combo, horsepower, etc. Maurice is right, no ims concerns. and from what I've read the small block LS1 is very reliable. I'm not a purist, I've had a '62 chevy with a 283 v8, and a '68 Camaro with a strong 327cu. Always been a Porsche guy at heart, since I was a kid, but couldn't get into one until my '79 SC. It's amazing to see a small Chevy block fit in there. and I'm curious to know about the efficiency of the cooling, along with the projected hp, torque, etc. and I think the name PorVette is cute, surely not meant as derogatory. If taken that way, kindly accept my apologies. and let me know when you drive it up to Mendocino. jl

Edited by judgejon

996 engine is quite a big ( dimensionally ) lump, so there's plenty of room in the engine bay to install other engines. But there's not much room to work on them...

According to the WSM:

"Engine weight as per DIN 70020 A in kg (lbs), Manual transmission

190* (418.86*) -- 3.4l

274.0* (595.2*) -- GT3 mkI

260* (572.7*) -- turbo

* including double-mass flywheel

So with correct spring/shock combination ( even from Porsche's parts bin ) there's also room to play with weights. Connecting engine electronics to 996's system can be done with proper piggyback or standalone, especially if the car is pre E-Gas.

Thank you all for the positive comments! I will take some pictures under the car and post them soon.

The engine I have is the 305 hp / 330 tq version, which is certainly respectable. Of course, I will want more and there will likely be some kind of turbo configuration in the future. I have a 1969 camaro with a twin turbo LS setup that I built that puts out around 600 hp at the wheels, so now I'm addicted to the power :)

IMG_1733.jpg

I'm planning to start road racing the 996 and have my first event scheduled in late February. I can hardly wait to see how the car performs on the track.

As far as cost goes for the 996/LS1 swap, I have about $5,500 in it.

Magnificant job,save your part #s for all bits & pieces. A few sensible owners will consider this an option to paying foolish Porsche parts prices. My biggest concern is what is your actual front to rear weight breakdown now,and also can stock radiators cope?

Wow that is fantastic! My late father would have a giant smile on his face if he saw this. Magnificent work and please share more pictures and technical specs down the road. If you decide to put Turbos on that thing it will be quite the beast!

Congrats! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

are you putting in a center radiator to improve the cooling, esp if the car is going to be tracked? my guess would be that the v8 will actually be easier to cool properly than the boxster-6. and, all purism notwithstanding, and a possible apology in advance to Loren, how about a pic of your hot '69 Camaro too? Cheers, jl

Unbelievable and astonishing.... Congrats.....

I've heard and seen the excellent reliable and bulletproof ability of the LSX engines. That's why I also have an 06 Z06. I baby my Porsche and beat the crap outta my vette. 20k for a 3.6(296 hp) or 10K for an LS7(505 hp). Smooth move guy. Me likey lots.

Edited by avaporsche

Thanks again to all for the great feedback!

Magnificant job,save your part #s for all bits & pieces. A few sensible owners will consider this an option to paying foolish Porsche parts prices. My biggest concern is what is your actual front to rear weight breakdown now,and also can stock radiators cope?

I was curious to see if the rear suspension would squat some, but it really doesn't. The LS is about 80-100lbs heavier compared to the stock 3.4l. The cooling system actually works quite well - at idle when the phase I fans come on the coolant temps drop immediately. Will be interesting to see how it does in summer heat, but I expect it to work well.

Very cool. I know you have also seen the guy in the middle east who is doing the same in a 996 Turbo on the LS site. It's good to see your car on its wheels. More details please!

Yes, his project is what prompted me to do mine. He is getting closer to completion.

are you putting in a center radiator to improve the cooling, esp if the car is going to be tracked? my guess would be that the v8 will actually be easier to cool properly than the boxster-6. and, all purism notwithstanding, and a possible apology in advance to Loren, how about a pic of your hot '69 Camaro too? Cheers, jl

No plans for a center radiator. The LS motors are actually pretty easy to keep cool, but if I run into issues it will be something to consider. I'll post a couple pics of the camaro when I get a chance.

Unbelievable and astonishing.... Congrats.....

I've heard and seen the excellent reliable and bulletproof ability of the LSX engines. That's why I also have an 06 Z06. I baby my Porsche and beat the crap outta my vette. 20k for a 3.6(396 hp) or 10K for an LS7(505 hp). Smooth move guy. Me likey lots.

These engines are amazing. Leaks are non-existent because of the o-ring style seals and they have great longevity. So easy to make big power with them too and parts are dirt cheap.

Wow I was watching the build of the other guys swap for awhile and was eager to see it finished, and BAM you beat him. :)

Great job!!! Would love to see more detailed photos. Any plans on coming out with a kit (wiring, mounts, bellhousing, and detailed instructions)??? I would buy a kit and I know lot's of other guys who would. I created Silviav8forums for guys who like to put LSx engines into 240sx's so this really appeals to me.

Anyways awesome job!

Edited by 0100

Wow I was watching the build of the other guys swap for awhile and was eager to see it finished, and BAM you beat him. :)

Great job!!! Would love to see more detailed photos. Any plans on coming out with a kit (wiring, mounts, bellhousing, and detailed instructions)??? I would buy a kit and I know lot's of other guys who would. I created Silviav8forums for guys who like to put LSx engines into 240sx's so this really appeals to me.

Anyways awesome job!

Thanks! Sent you a PM regarding kits.

At least the parts will be affordable!

That's right, and the aftermarket support for these is huge.

Just wanted to contribute my comment how impressed I am regarding your mechanical skills! Very well done project and I wish I lived near you so I could learn a thing or two from you.

There is a fellow PCA member here in the Vegas chapter that owns a shop that specializes in just this type of conversion. Here is his website: http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

Regards,

Tim

Brian, you just may need to open your own shop to do these conversions. I'm going to share this whole thing with my very good Porsche inde in Fort Bragg at Renzi Auto, and I'm betting he will be amazed. I actually wouldn't be surprised if you knew him. I'm looking forward to seeing your car up here sometime next year. jl

$5500 including car? If so, where do you find deals on wrecked 996's?

I wish :) I've got over 15k in the car. The $5,500 number is what it cost (in parts) to do the LS1 swap once I had the rest of the car together minus original engine.

Some dismantlers sell the rolling chassis - this is how I purchased mine.

Edited by brianjw4

I wish :) I've got over 15k in the car. The $5,500 number is what it cost (in parts) to do the LS1 swap once I had the rest of the car together minus original engine.

Some dismantlers sell the rolling chassis - this is how I purchased mine.

That's still a pretty cheap way to get into the car. I'm tempted to keep my current auto & pick up a salvage off CrashedToys or something of the sort. A few months later & some wrenching = deal on wheels. Then again, talk is cheap.