Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Is it worth it to join the PCA?

I normally don't join car clubs and don't really have any desire to attend car shows. Mainly what I'm looking for on the web are places with good advice, tech tips, DIY info, etc. I can't access the Tech Q&A section of the PCA website so I don't know how much good stuff there is over there.

Is it worth it to join the PCA? Or do sites like this one have just as much tech data. Are there other reasons to join that I'm failing to understand?

It's definately worth it if you intend to take yoru car to the track. you have to be a member to attend pca events and if you ever tried it you would get hooked. plus what Loren said about the magazine.

Edited by harryrcb

As a 40 year member there is no question about the value. Not just for normal 10 per cent dealer discounts, but for events ranging from insured driver ed to comp racing on tracks or in autocross and rallies , and free valuations on your car, ads (wanted or for sale) in Pano and online, a great website, model registries (I'm in 914, Boxster and Cayman registries), free tech advice from THEE premier experts in Porshedom online or in print, Porsche parking area at major events, access to drivers like Parick Long, etc etc etc.. And as Loren said Panorama is just about worth the cost of admission if only for the ads.

I just returned form a Toys for Tots event at a local dealer. Catered lunch, free Porsche hats, posters etc, and conversation with like minded Porsche Folk.

The motto is "It's not just the cars, it's the people." And that has been my experience in numerous regions over the last 40 year. Some regions better that others, BUT you can make a difference in any region IF you step up to the plate and manage events, write articles, and man corner worker slots , registrations tech inspections , etc.

Join. Trust me. Join. :soapbox:

• Upvote 1

You can replace Pana with Excellence magazine and get about the same value if all you are buying for is the mag. I belonged to the BMW club for a while, to PCA for a while, didn't find I used anything of value, didn't renew. I found Pana nothing but a shill for the Porsche marque.

With online forums and ads, there just wasn't enough to persuade me to renew as there always seemed a conflict between their dates and my calendar. Plus the local was dominated by early Porsche model owners and those with big bucks and big HP.

One person's opinion. Your location and your personality may have a completely different experience.

As a 40 year member there is no question about the value. Not just for normal 10 per cent dealer discounts, but for events ranging from insured driver ed to comp racing on tracks or in autocross and rallies , and free valuations on your car, ads (wanted or for sale) in Pano and online, a great website, model registries (I'm in 914, Boxster and Cayman registries), free tech advice from THEE premier experts in Porshedom online or in print, Porsche parking area at major events, access to drivers like Parick Long, etc etc etc.. And as Loren said Panorama is just about worth the cost of admission if only for the ads.

I just returned form a Toys for Tots event at a local dealer. Catered lunch, free Porsche hats, posters etc, and conversation with like minded Porsche Folk.

The motto is "It's not just the cars, it's the people." And that has been my experience in numerous regions over the last 40 year. Some regions better that others, BUT you can make a difference in any region IF you step up to the plate and manage events, write articles, and man corner worker slots , registrations tech inspections , etc.

Join. Trust me. Join. :soapbox:

Very very well said.

Yes it is worth it. We just rejoined for 3 years. We have met some wonderful friends. My wife and I both run autocross and HPDE events and they welcome us and our two sons (7 and 10) like no other group I have ever experienced. Suncoast Region PCA (Tampa) has been fantastic. The dealers support the club, the socials and fun-runs are a blast. Join and participate and you will never look back. Join and don't participate and you will mostly get a magazine out of it.

Scott

As a 23 year member - yes. Panorama is a great mag, and we have met a number of lifelong friends through PCA. We only made it to Parade in 89 and 93 (before kids) but my wife and I trophied in the driving event both times and will remember it forever.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a member of the Chicago Region since 1993. Have met many new friends, learned all about car care from tech sessions, proper car detailing and proper high speed driving instruction (I've been an instructor myself for the last 10-12 years). We have many talented members in our region that are more than willing to share their knowledge and experience. Some have raced pro/semi-pro, some are national concours winners/judges; others are highly technical, such as Charles Navarro of LN Engineering.

Is it worth the $40 a year?...you bet it is, along with all the other benefits already listed!