Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Problems with the alarm

Hi, my 996 is in the garage over the winter :( , but from time to time I need to have a look to make sure that everything is still fine B)

I know that when the car is not locked/unlocked for a few days the remote control turns off to save the batteries. After that time you normally have two options:

- Unlock the door with the key, open the door and turn the ignition on within 10 seconds

- Unlock the door with the key and lock it again without opening the door. Then unlock it with the remote control.

But with my car none of these options works. As soon as I turn the key in the door lock, the alarm goes off immediatly. Even when I keep the door closed.

There is no way to avoid this, I can only limit it by opening the door and inserting the key into the ignition as fast as possible.

Did anybody experiece a similar problem? What's wrong here? Any idea how to avoid this?

Regards

Wolfgang

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, maybe somebody has an answer to my strange problem with the alarm? Maybe it helps to bring this thread up...

As soon as you unlock the door with the key the alarm goes off. Immediatly, no delay, no time to open the door and insert the key to the ignition...

Is there something wrong with the key itself?

Regards

Wolfgang

Couple of thoughts,

1. the LED on the dash should be either off (no alarm), blinking (alarm active) or blinking rapidly (alarm triggered). That should give you a first indicator.

2. After five days, you should be able to unlock the driver's side door with the key without triggering the alarm. After unlocking, without taking the key out, you can push the 'key' button on the key head. This should restart the remote alarm capabilities.

3. Alternatively, after unlocking, by locking and unlocking the door with the key you should be able to turn off the alarm as well.

4. Check the batteries in your key, maybe they are weak.

5. If you unlock the door with the key AND open the door within 10 seconds, the alarm will go off. If you don't open the door the car will re-lock itself in 60 seconds. Between the 10 and 60 second interval you can try some of these options above. (60 seconds is default, you can program it to longer intervals).

Hello Henry,

thanks for the hints. I'll give it a try, but since I have to wait a few days after each test it may need some time :(

But let me comment some of your proposales:

1. the LED on the dash should be either off (no alarm), blinking (alarm active) or blinking rapidly (alarm triggered). That should give you a first indicator.

The alarm is active (blinking) when approaching the closed car. That looks ok.

2. After five days, you should be able to unlock the driver's side door with the key without triggering the alarm. After unlocking, without taking the key out, you can push the 'key' button on the key head. This should restart the remote alarm capabilities.

Nope, that does not work. As soon as I turn the key the alarm goes off. That's my main problem. Since I cannot open the door after 5 days with the remote control any more, I have to use the key. And this immediatly triggers the alarm :(

3. Alternatively, after unlocking, by locking and unlocking the door with the key you should be able to turn off the alarm as well.

I did not try this yet, but this would at least be faster than opening the door and fiddling the key into the ignition (what a luck that the ignition is on the left side of the steering column)

4. Check the batteries in your key, maybe they are weak

I tried it with both keys and the remote control always works fine, so I don't think it's a weak battery.

5. If you unlock the door with the key AND open the door within 10 seconds, the alarm will go off. If you don't open the door the car will re-lock itself in 60 seconds. Between the 10 and 60 second interval you can try some of these options above. (60 seconds is default, you can program it to longer intervals).

Not really.... If I unlock the door with the key it does not matter whether I open the door or not -> alarm!

As soon as my car is back on the road after winter I'll visit my local garage. Maybe there is an error-log in the OBD?

Regards

Wolfgang

Not really.... If I unlock the door with the key it does not matter whether I open the door or not -> alarm!

I guess it is worth a try on the passenger door.

Either way, I'd take it back to the dealer. Maybe it is a simple programming reset they can do, or otherwise diagnose (and replace) a fault in the system.

@ Richard: the LED is single flashing, all lids are closed. No beep from the horn when I close the car.

@ Henry: Trying the passenger door does not work.... there is no keyhole :( only the drivers door can be opened manually.

@ SFBayArea Jimmy: During summer this does not happen, as I use the care frequently. Within the first 5 days it works perfect, only when the 'battery saving' mode is activated I can't open any more without triggering the alarm.

I think I'll let the dealer check it in spring, when the car is back on the road.

Regards

Wolfgang