Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tire question

Hi guys,

Merry Christmas! Next week I'm planning on putting 4 new Falken ZE 912 tires on my 2000. Anyone have any experience pro or con with these tires and also, the previous owner put 215s on the front, slightly oversize. Any thoughts on that vs the stock 205 width? I like to toss the car around every once in a while but for the most part my driving is law abiding. I could do an occasional autocross with it but I have another car that is first choice, and I don't go balls out with either one, just looking for some grins.

Thanks,

Jim

San Jose, CA

Personally I run 245 up front and 275 in the rear on 17s. Those are Hoosiers so it's a little bit different story. My regular street tires are 235/255 on 17s. I like the better grip up front and have run my Boxster that way since back when it was stock.

-Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I have a '99 Boxster and run Michelin Pilot Sport 2's (PS2's) in 225/45/17 on the front and stock 255/40/17 on the rear. The slightly lower profile (45) on the front (compared to the stock tire 50) is needed to keep the tire diameter as close to stock as possible to avoid problems with the ABS (you need to lower the profile as you increase the width to keep the diameter nearly constant). This setup is meant to help reduce some of the inherrent understeer built into the car and seems to be the most common Boxster tire setup.

If you go wider than stock on the front and rear (e.g. 225 front and 275 rear) then you'll get a little more total grip but the the same stock understeer.

Edited by thstone