Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tire recommendations

Question: I have a 1999 C4, and am looking to put new tires on it. I would like to put on an aggressive handling tire, regardless of how long it lasts. I only put about 9K miles a year on my car so tire wear isn't to much of an issue.

What kind of tires can you suggest? I have michelin sports on now.

Ideas?

The michelins are good. Assuming you still want wet weather capability you could look at some of the near DOT-R tires like the Goodrich KD/KDW, Yokohama AVS Sport. There are lots of choices. Check www.tirerack.com and use their tire selector.

If you do not care about wet weather capability then use a DOT-R tire like the Michelin PSC, Dunlop Super Sport Race, Toyo RA-1.

Question: I have a 1999 C4, and am looking to put new tires on it.  I would like to put on an aggressive handling tire, regardless of how long it lasts. I only put about 9K miles a year on my car so tire wear isn't to much of an issue.

What kind of tires can you suggest?  I have michelin sports on now. 

Ideas?

I just went through this process with my (new) 2002 C4 Cab. It has Michelin Pilot Sport N1 tires. I tried to order just 2 rears from Tirerack.com. They had an OK price of $299 each tire plus shipping, no sales tax. After placing the order, a customer service rep called to ask if I was with a Porsche dealership. They said that the Michelin Pilot Sport was a limited supply tire and could only be sold to Porsche dealers or with their permission. I then contacted 2 dealers - Sunset Imports in Oregon - home of the "Parts at Cost program for us", and my local dealer in Walnut Creek, Ca. Both parts/service centers guys said they had to order the tires for me. Sunset wanted $350 + shipping, the other dealer wanted $396+ $125 for install - of 2 tires.

I thought $7-800 for 2 rears was way too high, and I really did not want the Michelin Sports as I heard they are noisier than most tires and other tires (like Bridgestone Potenza S-03 and new Michelin Pilot Sport II) work better - wet and dry.

This is where it got interesting. The local dealer said I had only a few choices for "Porsche-approved" tire fitments. The "N" rating after the tire indicated that the tires were approved for certain Porsche models and the tires were matched to work together. He said as long as the tires were N rated, I would be fine. So recommended either Pirelli P Zeros, Continental SportContact or Bridgestone S-02A tires. He said that the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 is another great choice, but it is not Porsche approved yet. He said the Pirelli's and Continentals will last a long time, but don't work too well, and the S-02A is older tech and will wear out really fast. The S-03 will also grip very well but not last very long. He then said that the new Michelin Pilot Sport II is the best new tire on the sports car market and I should consider going that way. It is not available yet in the 285-30-18 size yet, so I would have to run Turbo/C4S sized 295-30-18 rears. With that, he recommended using Porsche 5mm spacers for the fronts to balance the handling.

The price for the larger Pilot Sport II was bigger than just the $346 per tire that Tirerack charged.... it required replacing all 4 tires.

So I called Tirerack back and explained the dilemma. Their tech was very familiar with the 911 C4 Cab and said he did not like the recommendation above for a couple reasons. He said that he could guarantee that the tread and manufacture of the new Pilot Sport II would match between the front, 225-40 to the rear 295-30. He felt more comfortable selling me something that he knows will work and I would be happy with. He said that many owners switch to the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 after the original Michelin or Continental tires wear out.

My preference would have been to spend the money and run the new Michelin Pilot Sport II, but without knowing that the front and rear tires were matched, I did not feel comfortable spending $1100 and having problems down the road.

I used the S-03's on my 2000 M5 and really liked the look and feel of the tire. It was much quieter than the original Michelin's that came on the car.

I decided to go with what I knew - at a better price - and purchased 4 S-03's for the car. "Out the door" from Tirerack's Nevada warehouse to me in Northern Cal for $997. That's about what I would have paid WC Porsche for just the rears. Now I have to find someone to install them. But I think I will wait until my new X74 suspension shows up from Gert at Carnewal.

Hope this gives some insight and helps you decide.

Thanks,

Paul

Stock 18" all around. 225/40 up front and 265/35 rear. These tires are the best I have ever driven on. Excellent in the dry or wet. As with all excellent traction tire, do not expect to get much more than 10,000 miles out of the rears. Should get 3 times that amount out of the front on aggressive street driving. A buddy of mine replaced his stock Vette rubber with these and his traction (although the Vettes traction sucks by design) is like the difference between wet and dry pavement.

If your looking for smooth ride and the best traction, stick with the softer rubber compounds.

I had tried both PS N1 & SO3 on my 2000 C2, they both are excellent choices, the SO3s have a slight edge in the wet & a somewhat quieter on certain concrete road surfaces in the Bayarea but I'd prefer the precise response & road feel of the PS.

I have heard the new PS2 is the tire to kill for but haven't tried it. I am also very happy with the PS N1 rib on my C4S.

Whichever you choose, get the same brand and same N rating tire for the 4 corners. :drive:

I looked around and ended up staying with the Mich PS. I think they are good tires.

If you have specific driving requirements or if you are a tire person, then maybe the incremental difference from one tire to another will make a noticable difference. Otherwise the standard summer sports from the major manufactures will probably all be about the same.