Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have a 2010 997 S with 19" wheels and standard summer tires.

I know Porsche offers a -20mm lowered suspension from the factory. And I am wondering how this can be achieve "post-factory". Do I really need to completely replace springs, dampers and roll bars? Any info you could suggest would be helpful.

thanks

ST,

Dude! You are going to scrape every single elephant tu--d, parking stop, speed bump, incline, road debris, uneven ramp and road kill carcass on the face of your ride to work. The PASM d/c button supposedly drops your suspension about 3/8 in. by adding valve galleries in your shocks. Unless you're refering to a dedicated track or weekend vehichle as opposed to an everyday go to work ride, you may want to rethink this mod. I personally hate hitting bottom with any form of transportation.

Respectfully,

Ed:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OP,

I live in Montreal and I have a lowered car. It is not that bad... I do as many PCA DE evens as I can so the suspension is a no brainer for me.

You have three options, in decreasing order of cost/complexity:

1. Buy and install all the bits and pieces required to change your configuration to Sport PASM (the factory option). You will need dampers, sway bars, control modules, and a bunch more stuff... Plus the LSD if you really want to make it the same as the OE option. I looked into this and it was VERY expensive. The only real benefit being that you would keep the car completely OE. That being said, if you track the car, people will tell you that the factory LSD is not that good and the factory Sport dampers are not really adjustable. So, from a performance perspective, you are better off with the next option.

2. Buy and install Bilstein PSS10 Damptronic coilovers that are compatible with PASM and a Guard LSD. A lot of folks say that this setup rocks.

3. Buy and install other coilovers and disable PASM completely. If you are a hard core track junkie, this muhjt be the best option if you go with JRZ, MOton, or Ohlins. These are not PASM compatible but that are track proven options.

4. Just buy springs like Eibach or Techart and lower the car about 3/4 of an inch, and keep PASM functionnality... You just end up with Sport and Supersport instead of Normal and Sport...

I did option #4, it was the cheapest, although I have read some risks that you can blow dampers that way. If that happens, it will just give me a good reason to go to option #2.

But you did not really say WHY you wanted to change your suspension setup so it is hard to recommend one over the other...

Hope this helps,

T.

• Upvote 1

I have a friend who blew out his PASM by lowering it only and adding a LSD..

Good luck to you. It is an easy check to see if one is blown. You

just walk around the car and push down on it. You will notice

how spring-ie it is, even with the car turned off.

Paul