Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Spark Plug Tube grease for $40?

What's so special about the tube grease that warrants the cost of $40? (sorry, i'm new to the porsche world)

The only thing special about the tube grease is the price and the Porsche label. Any lubricating grease that does not attack rubber or plastic will do just as well, as long as it tolerates the temperatures.

Regards, Maurice.

What's so special about the tube grease that warrants the cost of $40? (sorry, i'm new to the porsche world)

The only thing special about the tube grease is the price and the Porsche label. Any lubricating grease that does not attack rubber or plastic will do just as well, as long as it tolerates the temperatures.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks for the response. Can you recommend one? I'm not familiar with electrical grease. Why would you want to lubricate an electrical component?

Wait - what are you going to put this grease on?

I'm just ordering all the items for the 60k maintenance service. I'm ordering extra spark plug tubes just in case I need to replace one of them and the site suggested I get the $40 grease for the tube

• Admin

If your spark plug tubes are not now leaking then I suggest you leave them alone. Chances are they were replaced with the newer design years ago.

Don't waste money on things you likely do not need.

I live in Roseville and it you want me to look over the car and put my PST2 tester on I will be happy to. PM me if you want to do that.

• Upvote 1

If your spark plug tubes are not now leaking then I suggest you leave them alone. Chances are they were replaced with the newer design years ago.

I live in Roseville and it you want me to look over the car and put my PST2 tester on I will be happy to. PM me if you want to do that.

Thanks! I will take you up on the offer! :)

I've orderd the following from Pelicanparts.com last night:

- Oil drain plug

- oil drain washer

- Belt

- 2 x sparkplug tube/inner/outer o-ring

- oil filter and o-ring

- air filter

- cabin filter

- fuel filter

- 6 sparkplugs

- Book - 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster, by Wayne R. Dempsey

Frank's Auto in Sacramento quoted $900 for the 60k service so I decided that I should save money and perform this job myself with the help of a book and this forum. Now, I just need to figure out how to put the vehicle on jack stands. :)

'99 Boxster

Edited by westladog

- Oil drain plug

- oil drain washer

- Belt

- oil filter and o-ring

- air filter

- cabin filter

- fuel filter

- 6 sparkplugs

Frank's Auto in Sacramento quoted $900 for the 60k service so I decided that I should save money and perform this job myself with the help of a book and this forum. Now, I just need to figure out how to put the vehicle on jack stands. :)

'99 Boxster

Dog:

No need to figure it out...Just follow Orient Express' excellent instructions and photos. The instructions are for a 996, but the procedure is exactly the same for Boxsters, here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php/topic/3404-putting-your-996986997987-up-on-jackstands/

Remember, there is no such thing as being too careful when jacking up your car! soapbox.gif

Regards, Maurice.

• Upvote 1

- Oil drain plug

- oil drain washer

- Belt

- oil filter and o-ring

- air filter

- cabin filter

- fuel filter

- 6 sparkplugs

'99 Boxster

Dog:

No need to figure it out...Just follow Orient Express' excellent instructions and photos. The instructions are for a 996, but the procedure is exactly the same for Boxsters, here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php/topic/3404-putting-your-996986997987-up-on-jackstands/

Remember, there is no such thing as being too careful when jacking up your car! soapbox.gif

Regards, Maurice.

She has logged 5k miles since the purchase two months ago while I have logged may be 500 miles total, and I have to perform this work! :censored:

And of course I can't get my own Porsche..... :offtopic:

When I changed my spark plugs, one of my tubes had oil in it and there was oil on the side of the engine. I have attached a photo. I was planning to replace the leaking tube, but the instructions I've found on other boards said to just lightly oil the outside of the tube before inserting it. Can you confirm that the grease isn't necessary?

Thanks

post-9357-0-44942800-1297220660_thumb.jp

• Admin

When I changed my spark plugs, one of my tubes had oil in it and there was oil on the side of the engine. I have attached a photo. I was planning to replace the leaking tube, but the instructions I've found on other boards said to just lightly oil the outside of the tube before inserting it. Can you confirm that the grease isn't necessary?

Thanks

Have a look at TSB 15/97 1546 New Spark Plug Tube O-rings -- dated 1-8-98

• Upvote 1

I live in Sacramento too. Off of Watt and Hi-way 50. I just changed my plugs and tubes.

You only use a fraction of the grease from the tube. Let me know if you decide to use the grease

and I will give you the rest.

I live in Sacramento too. Off of Watt and Hi-way 50. I just changed my plugs and tubes.

You only use a fraction of the grease from the tube. Let me know if you decide to use the grease

hmmmm :)

I live off of Bradshaw and 50. Can I borrow your jackstands and hydraulic jack? :)

This is totally going off topic but has anyone figured out an 'easy' way to clean the engine since it's in the middle of everything?

Edited by westladog

hmmmm :)

I live off of Bradshaw and 50. Can I borrow your jackstands and hydraulic jack? :)

This is totally going off topic but has anyone figured out an 'easy' way to clean the engine since it's in the middle of everything?

Dog:

Once you put the top in the service position, you can get decent access to the top of the engine. You can then get a little more access through the engine cover on the front firewall of the engine compartment.

There is a product made by Simple Green called "Extreme Simple Green" which is excellent for engine cleaning. One of the really great things about this particular cleaner is that it is non-corrosive and will not etch metal or plastic parts. It also leaves no residue.

After spraying it on, you can use a toothbrush for heavy deposits and then rinse it off. If you are nervous about spraying water on the engine, you can wipe it off with a damp cloth instead. If you are going to spray water onto the engine, it's a good idea to cover or wrap the electrical connectors and components with plastic or cling wrap.

Take some before and after photos for everybody. We like to see clean engines! jump.gif

Regards, Maurice.

As you can see in the photo... no jack or stands are needed.

At the corner of Folsom and Bradshaw is a Toon-Town looking plaza. On the end is a deli. I can meet you

there and give you the Porsche Optimol Paste. Give me a time.

Don't take it personal but I don't loan out (liability) Hydraulic jacks or stands. Sorry.

I replaced my spark plugs and tubes two weeks ago. I replaced all 6 spark plug tubes and all 12 o-rings just because of age and because they are cheap. I used a boat plug to pull the tubes out and didn't have any problems. I skipped the $40 Porsche grease and just used a tiny bit of motor oil on the o-rings.

As you can see in the photo... no jack or stands are needed.

At the corner of Folsom and Bradshaw is a Toon-Town looking plaza. On the end is a deli. I can meet you

there and give you the Porsche Optimol Paste. Give me a time.

Don't take it personal but I don't loan out (liability) Hydraulic jacks or stands. Sorry.

Thanks! I'll take you up on the offer for the paste.! I'm still waiting for the parts to come. :)

You're welcome.

You probably already know from the DIY but I will give you a heads up on some tools

you might need.

1. Torx heads... for the pollen filter and MAF (eventually). Harbor Freight has sets.

2. Metric allens. L-shaped and T-handles.

3. 3/8" torque wrench. For plugs and coils. Foot lbs.

4. 3/8" extensions. Like a 2", 4" and 6".

5. 3/8" universal.

6. Set of metric sockets.

7. The polyrib change requires a large socket. Check for size. I think it is a 24 mm or larger.

8. Tube puller for plugs. I used the handle of a nut driver.

9. Drop light.

10. 76X14 flute socket for oil cannister.

11. Large drain pan for oil.

Some guys can probably do all the maintenance with just a screwdriver and channel-locks. I can't.

Let me know when you get your parts and I will get the paste to you. Good Luck.

• Upvote 1

You're welcome.

You probably already know from the DIY but I will give you a heads up on some tools

you might need.

1. Torx heads... for the pollen filter and MAF (eventually). Harbor Freight has sets.

5. 3/8" universal.

7. The polyrib change requires a large socket. Check for size. I think it is a 24 mm or larger.

9. Drop light.

Some guys can probably do all the maintenance with just a screwdriver and channel-locks. I can't.

What is ..... 76X14 flute socket for oil cannister.

You're welcome.

you might need.

5. 3/8" universal.

9. Drop light.

That is a cup-like "socket" which fits over the bottom of the oil filter cartridge canister for removal of the oil filter.

Regards, Maurice.

You're welcome.

you might need.

5. 3/8" universal.

9. Drop light.

That is a cup-like "socket" which fits over the bottom of the oil filter cartridge canister for removal of the oil filter.

Regards, Maurice.

Wow! I completed the 60k service today and it took only 4.5 hours. I think 45 minutes of it was getting the car on the jack stands. After 4.5 hours, I was able to replace the spark plugs, change the oil, air filter, and cabin filter.

Plus, I didn't have to replace the spark plug tubes because none of them was showing oil.

Thanks everyone for giving me the confidence! I've saved like $900!

By the way, I was thinking of getting this fluid extractor for between oil changes without changing the oil filter?

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-1-4-quarter-gallon-oil-extractor-46149.html

I can use this to extract tranny fluid from my other vehicles and also the boat.....

What do you guys think?