Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Is there any consensus which ECU remap is the best option. I have a 2006 C4S witch a gather has 355 BHP. I've added AWE headers, cats and exhaust but no air box at this point. I want to do the ECU and am aware of the offerings from Softronic, Fabspeed, etc but would love some feedback from others. The aftermarket modification options for adding horsepower are similar to all the muscle powders marketed to teenagers who will pay through the nose for over priced protein powder. I guess what I'm saying is that I know better but am still easily marketed to and would appreciate some advise from others.

Is there any consensus which ECU remap is the best option. I have a 2006 C4S witch a gather has 355 BHP. I've added AWE headers, cats and exhaust but no air box at this point. I want to do the ECU and am aware of the offerings from Softronic, Fabspeed, etc but would love some feedback from others. The aftermarket modification options for adding horsepower are similar to all the muscle powders marketed to teenagers who will pay through the nose for over priced protein powder. I guess what I'm saying is that I know better but am still easily marketed to and would appreciate some advise from others.

Everything I see and read points to Softronic. My wife is warming up to the idea, so as soon as I get my next bonus (and if she stays in a good mood :)) I will be getting the Softronic flash for my 997 Turbo. The people who have used this seem to really love the results. I also have two great dealerships and since I have several Porsches, have established a good relationship with the service departments. The mechanics have indicated the flash works great and does not harm anything (after warranty ends...of course). Not speaking officially on behalf of Porsche obviously.

Good luck.

DC

Edited by therock88

Agree with the Rock. Get the Softronic. You install it yourself with a laptop and keep your stock map in case you need to reinstall it.. They (Softronic) will also customiize a map for the mods you have.. I have a good relationship with my dealer as well and they look the other way when it comes to my flash affecting my warranty.

Give Dan Malmerstein a call at Vivid racing..

Good luck. I think you will be really happy with it....

:cheers:

Edited by phillipj

Everything I see and read points to Softronic. My wife is warming up to the idea, so as soon as I get my next bonus (and if she stays in a good mood :)) I will be getting the Softronic flash for my 997 Turbo. The people who have used this seem to really love the results. I also have two great dealerships and since I have several Porsches, have established a good relationship with the service departments. The mechanics have indicated the flash works great and does not harm anything (after warranty ends...of course). Not speaking officially on behalf of Porsche obviously.

Good luck.

DC

DC,

The flash will transform your already potent Turbo into a beast. You will be amazed at the difference...

Edited by phillipj

Sorry I was replying to the Rock88's post who does have a Turbo.. Sorry for the confusion..

Yeah...Thanks! I am just waiting until my lovely spouse says to do it :) Also, I realize the original post is a non-turbo. From what I have seen, while not quite as extreme, Softronic is still the way to go for a NA as well. Check Here .....And only $995. Bumps up the HP and torque and creates a more responsive map....

3.6L Stock Power – 325HP and 273ft/lbs

Tuned Power – 345HP and 295ft/lbs

3.8L Stock Power – 355HP and 295ft/lbs

Tuned Power – 389HP and 330ft/lbs

Good luck!

And thanks for getting me all excited again phillipj :) I will have to be all nice to my wife now so she will "allow" me to purchase it....Since I just got her a whole kitchen full of new granite counter tops etc...Might have some leverage....

DC

Edited by therock88

• 4 months later...

I had a GIAC reflash done, some time ago, on top of a full AWE exhaust & Evo airbox on a 3.8. An additional 7 rear wheel horsepower on a Mustang dyno. More recent programming may provide something more, but it is probably incremental.

• 5 months later...

Vehicle: 2006 Carerra S 3.8L TipTronic

* I do not need advice on whether the upgrades are 'worth it' or not, but on the following:

I am a daily driver / street driver - I am not a track racer. [yet :0]

If I do a full AWE exhaust upgrade [headers, 200cpi cats, cat-back] and then the Softronic ECU flash, will I be street legal?

On the AWE web page, near the bottom of the page in the details text, it says the cats aren't highway legal, which I indirectly interpret as "on street legal, only track legal".

Also, if I ever end up getting a smog-test for the DMV, will I get out alive and pass?

Money isn't a concern, what the results are aren't a concern (because I know it will be bitchen), but legality and being put into crap positions are my concerns before I make the leap.

Any responses you have are welcome,

Cheers.

Edited by appdevman

It probably won't be "technically" CA SMOG legal... but some of that depends on the visual inspection as likely the car would still pass the sniffer tests. Will it be cleaner than some of the other cars on the road, probably.

I've passed a few rolling CA smogs with a full fabspeed kit, and played dumb. But that kit is gone...

There is a gentlemen who visits here that has apparently passed a few CA? smogs with a DIY supercharger kit. Cough. LOL. :)