Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Spark Plug Tube replacement

I have a 2000 996 C2, 6 speed, 90K miles. I have oil leakage from the spark plug area, and am assuming I have bad spark plug tube o rings. Given this, I see that the price of replacement tubes is not much more than just the o rings. Should I just buy the new tubes? Also, I have found spark plug replacement instructions, but was wondering if anyone has instructions on how to remove and replace the tubes. Thanks

PS - kind of ironic that I can't escape tubes that leak oil in Porsches - I have replaced push rod tube o rings on my 914's and oil return tubes on my 911 SC. I understand that the later 996 and 986 engines do not have the tubes - is that right?

Hi - i just did my coils, plugs, tubes and o-rings on a 2000 996. Removing/replacing the tubes is a really simple job with the right tool. I purchase the factory recommended puller tool - from Kukko P/N: 21-4 (same as Hazel 788-30) - A$100 well spent. Instructions are in the repair manual at Group 15 46 19 - page 15-83. However instead of the two mounting bars, I used the nut on the puller to secure a ring spanner under a large washer and then levered the puller and tube out against a wood block against the engine. They all popped out with little to medium force. Prior to installation make sure you use the recommended lube on the o-rings. To install I used the handle end of a large screwdriver - that fitted snuggly on the end of the tube without getting stuck - to push them back in. Hope this helps.

edited to add photo of Kukko 21-4

post-37550-0-40672600-1301045706_thumb.j

Edited by amcleod1

$100 for the Porsche tool that you might use once every 5 years or so is crazy. Go to your local marine supply store and get a transom plug like this for less than $5. Get the right size and they work just fine.

post-7011-0-33110300-1299512438_thumb.jp

Hi - i just did my coils, plugs, tubes and o-rings on a 2000 996. Removing/replacing the tubes is a really simple job with the right tool. I purchase the factory recommended puller tool - from HAZEL p/n 788-30 - A$100 well spent. Instructions are in the repair manual at Group 15 46 19 - page 15-83. However instead of the two mounting bars, I used the nut on the puller to secure a ring spanner under a large washer and then levered the puller and tube out against a wood block against the engine. They all popped out with little to medium force. Prior to installation make sure you use the recommended lube on the o-rings. To install I used the handle end of a large screwdriver - that fitted snuggly on the end of the tube without getting stuck - to push them back in. Hope this helps.

Can you post a photo of the Hazel p/n 788-30. I used the transom plug and it worked slick.

I have a 2000 996 C2, 6 speed, 90K miles. I have oil leakage from the spark plug area, and am assuming I have bad spark plug tube o rings. Given this, I see that the price of replacement tubes is not much more than just the o rings. Should I just buy the new tubes? Also, I have found spark plug replacement instructions, but was wondering if anyone has instructions on how to remove and replace the tubes. Thanks

PS - kind of ironic that I can't escape tubes that leak oil in Porsches - I have replaced push rod tube o rings on my 914's and oil return tubes on my 911 SC. I understand that the later 996 and 986 engines do not have the tubes - is that right?

TomCat:

Here is a set of instructions on Pedro's Garage Web Site: http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site/DIY_Projects.html

Regards, Maurice.

I went the $5.00 route had no problems changing tubes....

TomCat:

Here is a set of instructions on Pedro's Garage Web Site: http://www.pedrosgar...Y_Projects.html

Regards, Maurice.

TomCat:

Here is a set of instructions on Pedro's Garage Web Site: http://www.pedrosgar...Y_Projects.html

Regards, Maurice.

Maurice

Thanks a bunch. Well documented procedure and love the creativity on the transom plug.

TomCat:

Regards, Maurice.

Maurice

Thanks a bunch. Well documented procedure and love the creativity on the transom plug.

Thank you to Canmanluge as well!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Folks

Completed spark plug replacement and tube o ring replacement with no issues. Used the transom plug and it was a little fussy but worked. Just need to rememeber to put it back in my friend's boat before he goes fishing.....

Thanks for the advice.