Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ticking noise in clutch pedal

I am experiencing a low frequency ticking noise coming from the area by the clutch pedal (inside the car) and it goes away when my foot touches and actually depresses the pedal. It only does it when the car is running and my foot is off the clutch (usually at a stop in neutral). Any ideas what this could be?

I replaced the clutch, throwout bearing, pressure plate, flywheel, and slave cylinder last week (and bled the system). I was in need of a clutch, BTW. Everything feels great. But there's still a slight ticking right behind the dash in the area of the pedal assembly. Once I depress the clutch, the ticking goes away.

• Moderators

If you can feel the ticking in the pedal when you put your hand gently on it, there could be something wrong with the replaced clutch/flywheel assy.

If you can feel the ticking in the pedal when you put your hand gently on it, there could be something wrong with the replaced clutch/flywheel assy.

Hey RFM. Thanks for the response. Actually, the clutch pedal feels great (like new) since I installed the new clutch/flywheel. I don't feel the ticking with my hand or foot. The noise just seems to disappear when the pedal is pushed. I thought it may be something in the clutch master cylinder or assist spring. Those are two items that were not replaced. I did however, replace the slave cylinder.

Hey RFM. Thanks for the response. Actually, the clutch pedal feels great (like new) since I installed the new clutch/flywheel. I don't feel the ticking with my hand or foot. The noise just seems to disappear when the pedal is pushed. I thought it may be something in the clutch master cylinder or assist spring. Those are two items that were not replaced. I did however, replace the slave cylinder.

Could you give us some more vehicle info on this problem; MY and mileage for example? I am interested in tracking clutch life on these 996s. Thanks.

Could you give us some more vehicle info on this problem; MY and mileage for example? I am interested in tracking clutch life on these 996s. Thanks.

Hi Carrera3.2. It's a 2003 C4S with 83,000 miles. I'm the 2nd owner of the vehicle and purchased it in 2007 with 42,000 miles. In looking at past records (from the previous owner), I don't see that it ever had a clutch replacement. Based on that, I'm assuming this is the only clutch replacement the car has received.

Hi Carrera3.2. It's a 2003 C4S with 83,000 miles. I'm the 2nd owner of the vehicle and purchased it in 2007 with 42,000 miles. In looking at past records (from the previous owner), I don't see that it ever had a clutch replacement. Based on that, I'm assuming this is the only clutch replacement the car has received.

hasteyrb,

Thanks for the reply. That is good news! Since my 2003 C2 has only 44K miles on it, I am hoping I can get as much clutch life as you have. Out of curiosity, did you do anything with the IMS when you replaced the clutch?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Changed the master clutch cylinder and the noise is gone. Thanks for all of your comments.

Carrera3.2,

When I did the clutch/flywheel, I also replaced the:

- IMS bearing and flange with LN Engineering upgrade

- All 3 cam chain tensioners

- RMS

- AOS

- Water pump

- LN engineering Low Temp thermostat

- Slave cylinder

- Clutch master cylinder

- Sparkplugs and all 6 coil packs

- Cardan Shaft (the rubber guibo on my original shaft was cracked)

- Coolant reservoir tank and cap

- Changed Trans and front diff fluid

- Changed oil and filter

Hope this helps. If I can think of anything else I did, I'll add to the list. My car drives amazingly well now.

Britt

Edited by hasteyrb

• 2 years later...

2001 C4 Cab. 58k miles. I have this exact problem, ticking that happens at idle, but slightest depression of clutch pedal makes it stop. Got new clutch 4 months 4 k miles ago. The noise started a few weeks ago,. Any idea how in the world the clutch master could be making that noise? Reluctant to replace without seeing how it could be the problem. Thanks.