Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Whistling noise from passenger window

When I was cruising down the autobahn today :drive: at about 135+mph I heard a quite loud squeaking/whistling noise when I released the gas pedal and the car lowered it's nose due to motor braking. When I pushed my hand against the passenger side window where it seemed to come from the noise changed.When I kept the car at present speed it even vanished. Checking the car in a parking lot I found the window fitting neatly into the rubber seals and didn't see anything that would cause aerodynamic noise. But obviously the change of airflow along the window while releasing the gas ist enough to make the car whistle. It had it's door replaced in april due to someone bumping into it while backing up but has already been driven at around 150mph without making any such noises. That is according to my brother in law who owned the car before. So I guess it has nothing to do with door adjustment.

Any ideas or recommendations? It's hard to test it since I have to go quite fast and at the same time look and listen for the cause of the noise. I'd rather rely on your experience ...

Thanks,

Thorsten

Edited by toddel68

I'd check the mounting of the front trunk lid. Most likely the lid came up under decelleration and this is known to cause a whistling noise (usually at lower speeds).

When you have the whistling noise, you can adjust the lid to avoid the whistle - make shure the bumper 'lip' is positioned above the lid edge when closed.

I suggest that in your case the lid just came up momentarily, sufficient to cause the whistle noise. You could position it lower to reduce this effect. Feel whether it has any slack or 'give' when locked.

As to why the passenger side seemed to be the source I don't know. Possible the rubbers form a better seal at the driver's side?

Question,

what are you doing with 1 hand on the passenger window doing 135+ ????

:eek:

show off!!! :D

When I was cruising down the autobahn today :drive:  at about 135+mph I heard a quite loud squeaking/whistling noise when I released the gas pedal and the car lowered it's nose due to motor braking. When I pushed my hand against the passenger side window where it seemed to come from the noise changed.When I kept the car at present speed it even vanished. Checking the car in a parking lot I found the window fitting neatly into the rubber seals and didn't see anything that would cause aerodynamic noise. But obviously the change of airflow along the while releasing the gas ist enough to make the car whistle. It had it's door replaced in april due to someone bumping into it while backing up but has already been driven at around 150mph without making any such noises. That is according to my brother in law who owned the car before.  So I guess it has nothing to do with door adjustment.

Any ideas or recommendations? It#s hard to test it since I have to go quite fast and at the same time look and listen for the cause of the noise. I'd rather rely on your experience ...

Thanks,

Thorsten

Edited by redduck996

Hey Toddel,

I had a similar problem with a noisy window above 150-160mph. The dealer cured it by adjusting the passenger door/window.

You mentioned that your door was replaced.... I assume that it wasn't installed correctly. You won't see this when the car is standig still. It may look fine, but if the pre-stressing is too low, it will lift due to the negative pressure at higher speeds.

Another source is the front lid as Henry explained. Don't try to position the front egde of the lid equal to the bumber edge. That may look better, but it causes noises.

I also heard of front screens making noise. At high speeds there is a vacuum at the lower part of the screen which can lift the window if it's not properly bonded to the body.

But your problem can be verified rather easy, just open the window a bit or push it with your hand (well, maybe the passenger can do it) when the noise apprears.

Wolfgang

Hey Toddel,

I had a similar problem with a noisy window above 150-160mph. The dealer cured it by adjusting the passenger door/window.

You mentioned that your door was replaced.... I assume that it wasn't installed correctly. You won't see this when the car is standig still. It may look fine, but if the pre-stressing is too low, it will lift due to the negative pressure at higher speeds.

Another source is the front lid as Henry explained. Don't try to position the front egde of the lid equal to the bumber edge. That may look better, but it causes noises.

I also heard of front screens making noise. At high speeds there is a vacuum at the lower part of the screen which can lift the window if it's not properly bonded to the body.

But your problem can be verified rather easy, just open the window a bit or push it with your hand (well, maybe the passenger can do it) when the noise apprears.

Wolfgang

Hallo Wolfgang,

Thanks for putting my focus to the windshield area. Inspecting the car in bright daylight I found some tree semen under the windshield seal in the lower area of the A pillar. So that was right in the area where you said the underpressure is created. Although the seal was only lifted by 1 or 2 mm it seemed to be enough to create the noise. I did another 'highspeed-test' and as far as I can say the noise is gone. Yet I have to test it at higher speeds and similar gust conditions but that will have to wait until my winter tires come off. I wouldn't consider the hand-on-window-method accurate enough since opening the window or putting my hand on had worked for me even though the fault was somewhere else. Maybe the airfllow was altered that way as to create a vibration on a different car of the part. In my case it was the window. I often see that on aircrafts where it's really hard to locate where noises are generated.

What the heck - maybe highspeed noises are just a specific german problem :P

Thorsten

Love my car but I am really p------ off with the built in sound system.

My buddy owns an Aston Martin Vanquish. He spent about 7000 EUR (~9200$) on the built in sound system which is made by Alpine as far as I know.

Anyway the sound sucks becauses the equalizer is a joke. A monitor based nav system ws not available by AM. So he spent another few grands to have a customized panel fit in together with amplifiers and a pioneer avix xc1.

Still I would trade in the car for my Porsche at any time :notworthy:

Love my car but I am really p------ off with the built in sound system.

My buddy owns an Aston Martin Vanquish. He spent about 7000 EUR (~9200$) on the built in sound system which is made by Alpine as far as I know.

Anyway the sound sucks becauses the equalizer is a joke. A monitor based nav system ws not available by AM. So he spent another few grands to have a customized panel fit in together with amplifiers and a pioneer avix xc1.

Still I would trade in the car for my Porsche at any time :notworthy:

The ''sound'' system is fine, its the built in Zuffenhausen Symphony coming from various parts of my car that I was referring too, I haven't had the window squeak that Toddels mentions but have had just about very other that has been raised on this forum by countless owners. I just wish they could raise the body build to the same level as the performance and handling.

The ''sound'' system is fine, its the built in Zuffenhausen Symphony coming from various parts of my car that I was referring too...

Now I get it. Must have been the language barrier...But you're right, every time I manage to eliminate a rattle the next one is just around the corner. Sometimes I think that it was already there and I just didn't notice because it was to noisy. :angry:

I think I was to quick to announce that the porblem was solved. Today was a windy day again and when I was going fast the door started whistling again :(

I guess I will take it to the dealer now and let him fix it under warranty whichI still have on the new door. I will post results a soon as I was there. Dang- why couldn't there an easy fix!

Edited by toddel68

• 1 year later...

I just realized that I never told the end of the story: Well I went to the dealer which had replaced the door and made him fix the problem under warranty. Basically what they did is insert a piece of foam rubber cord of about 25cm in the overlapping lips of the door seal running along the a pillar. When I picked the car up I thought they had adjusted the window according to Porsches specs because after a quick run on the autobahn I found the noise was gone. Since I'm curious I inspected the area and found a bump in the door seal which turned out to be the the mentioned rubber cord. The moment I put my hands on it the whole thing just fell out. Well I was p***d of course. Immediately took the car to the dealer again and lectured the service manager (who I consider to be an a-hole) about adjusting the windows and how it is done. From the way they looked at me I could tell they didn't even know what I was talking about which left me almost speechless. I also stated that I don't consider stuffing some foam in there a Porsche-like fix.

I finally ended up with a glued-in rubber cord and a non-whistling window. Needless to say this backed up my decision to never go there again.

I'm not a home right now but will add a pic as soon as I come home.

Thorsten

I just realized that I never told the end of the story: Well I went to the dealer which had replaced the door and made him fix the problem under warranty. Basically what they did is insert a piece of foam rubber cord of about 25cm in the overlapping lips of the door seal running along the a pillar. When I picked the car up I thought they had adjusted the window according to Porsches specs because after a quick run on the autobahn I found the noise was gone. Since I'm curious I inspected the area and found a bump in the door seal which turned out to be the the mentioned rubber cord. The moment I put my hands on it the whole thing just fell out. Well I was p***d of course. Immediately took the car to the dealer again and lectured the service manager (who I consider to be an a-hole) about adjusting the windows and how it is done. From the way they looked at me I could tell they didn't even know what I was talking about which left me almost speechless. I also stated that I don't consider stuffing some foam in there a Porsche-like fix.

I finally ended up with a glued-in rubber cord and a non-whistling window. Needless to say this backed up my decision to never go there again.

I'm not a home right now but will add a pic as soon as I come home.

Thorsten

you home yet thorsten? im really curious to see the pics.

Here they are:

thanks, but i thought the pics might show exactly what they did so that i might consider doing somthing simalar mysellf as i cant seem to get rid of the noise as yet...and if it worked i would at least know what exactly is causing it!!

Here they are:

thanks, but i thought the pics might show exactly what they did so that i might consider doing somthing simalar mysellf as i cant seem to get rid of the noise as yet...and if it worked i would at least know what exactly is causing it!!

Nothing mysterious about it. Just insert a 10" piece of the grey rubber foam that is normally used to stop the rattle in the rear window between the overlapping lips of the door seal. If it works, glue it down. Done.

Here they are:

Nothing mysterious about it. Just insert a 10" piece of the grey rubber foam that is normally used to stop the rattle in the rear window between the overlapping lips of the door seal. If it works, glue it down. Done.

got that noise problem solved at last!!!

i removed the mirror, took of all the mirror seals and bits of foam rubber, cleaned everything. then reasembled using copious amounts of vaseline. when i assembled it all and tightend the mirror screws it oozed out of the joints :D ...i was really happy that even on a very windy day like today that the noise has completly disapeared :clapping:

now i know where the problem is..and should it come back i will buy all new seals and apply silicon rubber to the places where i suspect that the wind gets through.

thorsten, i also found a length of foam rubber cord in between the door rubber seal...so somebody has allready tried to do a fix in the past. probably some porsche zentrum mech.....i took it out. being a mechanic myself (aircraft) i think that is a cheap bodge, if i did somthing like that in my job i would get a kick up the butt.

gruess

kelvin

• 5 months later...

I am sorry to bring this topic up again, but I have the same noise coming from the driver side window. If you look at the attached picture:

post-10858-1161865226_thumb.jpg

The noise is coming from the point where the two arrows (A and B ) point. If I put my finger and push the rubber from the inside towards the window at point B it stops.

Now, I thought I should try the fix suggested in this thread but when I looked carefully I saw that my door seal already has a similar fix applied (previous owner?) but the foam rubber bit is inside the outer part of the seal (arrow A).

I am not sure, but I thought the correct way would be to insert the foam rubber bit in the inner part of the seal (arrow B ) - right?

Also, is the part marked "C" adjustable? Can I increase the angle with the door so that it pushes the seal more?

Yes , it should be in the inner part of the seal. Actually this is exactly the same location where my whistle came from so there's a good chance to fix it. I'd say its possible to adjust the door to give more pressure to that point but I don't think it's a good idea if the door's overall fit is okay.

As Kelvin said: not really a sophisticated solution but for me it works.

Thorsten

• 1 month later...