Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 Turbo Tip boost pressure

mat911

Hi all,

I am very close to switch my very good 40th Anniversary 996 with a MY 997 Turbo Tip and i would appreciate some technical info.

How much boost should the display indicate at full throttle at 3k, 4k, 5k, 6k rpm???

I understand that boost pressure declines as the rpm rise, but what level of boost should I expect to see at 5k with SC on /off respectively???

I'm planning a test drive tomorrow, and I guess if correct boost levels can be achieved means that turbos/ intercoolers/ hoses/ DV are all in good order.

BTW I ve been told there is no comparison in straight line performance between my car and the Turbo. Does it really feel sooooooo much faster??

Thanks in advance

I can't tell you about the boost pressures but I can tell you about the difference in cars.. I had 2 996's (a 3.4 and a 3.6) and a 2006 Carrera S.

I now have a 2007 Turbo six speed. The difference is straightline speed in enormous. It will make you giggle everytime the boost kicks in (especially in 2nd and 3rd gear.):thumbup: I have done some mods to mine (chip, exhaust, filter and larger throttle body.) It freakin screams. I drive the crap out of it everyday.

Do yourself a favor and get the car checked by Porsche or a good tech. Although the Turbos are pretty trouble free you should have everything checked out. Well worth the money.

It is unlikely that the car you drive will have any issues with boost hoses etc.. Just drive it hard and don't be nice to it..

There are lots of Turbos out there so be patient to make sure you get the one you want.

Good luck!

Edited by phillipj

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked the car by my tech, and he suggested that I should go for it. The car has 29,000km and serviced regularly. I have noticed that from brake disks rotor have around 3mm - 4mm wear, and the rear 2-3mm wear. Is it too much for 29,000km or not?

By the way, can you chip the car and keep the stock exhaust ? Can you gain 80hp with chip alone and stock exhaust??

Regards

I can't tell you about the boost pressures but I can tell you about the difference in cars.. I had 2 996's (a 3.4 and a 3.6) and a 2006 Carrera S.

I now have a 2007 Turbo six speed. The difference is straightline speed in enormous. It will make you giggle everytime the boost kicks in (especially in 2nd and 3rd gear.):thumbup: I have done some mods to mine (chip, exhaust, filter and larger throttle body.) It freakin screams. I drive the crap out of it everyday.

Do yourself a favor and get the car checked by Porsche or a good tech. Although the Turbos are pretty trouble free you should have everything checked out. Well worth the money.

It is unlikely that the car you drive will have any issues with boost hoses etc.. Just drive it hard and don't be nice to it..

There are lots of Turbos out there so be patient to make sure you get the one you want.

Good luck!

Hi all,

I am very close to switch my very good 40th Anniversary 996 with a MY 997 Turbo Tip and i would appreciate some technical info.

How much boost should the display indicate at full throttle at 3k, 4k, 5k, 6k rpm???

I understand that boost pressure declines as the rpm rise, but what level of boost should I expect to see at 5k with SC on /off respectively???

I'm planning a test drive tomorrow, and I guess if correct boost levels can be achieved means that turbos/ intercoolers/ hoses/ DV are all in good order.

BTW I ve been told there is no comparison in straight line performance between my car and the Turbo. Does it really feel sooooooo much faster??

Thanks in advance

Bone stock with no Sport Chrono on should get about .9 and with SC on about 1.2 bar on boost gauge. You can flash the DME through OBDII and get around 80 HP gain without other mods, but other mods help. Also the difference

between what you have and a 997 Turbo is not even close. If you were to race one straight line in your 996 or even 997, you would feel like you are in neutral :) With exhaust, intake, and dme flash....SCARY!

Good luck.

DC

Edited by therock88

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Bone stock with no Sport Chrono on should get about .9 and with SC on about 1.2 bar on boost gauge. You can flash the DME through OBDII and get around 80 HP gain without other mods, but other mods help. Also the difference

between what you have and a 997 Turbo is not even close. If you were to race one straight line in your 996 or even 997, you would feel like you are in neutral :) With exhaust, intake, and dme flash....SCARY!

Good luck.

DC

Good scary.! It's sad but I still want more power. I guess that is a disease we all have...:clapping:

I have a 997 turbo and my boost gauge indicates psi marked 0 9 18. The dealer says it is really bar, although. there is no decimal point in the 18. What should it show? I suspect I'm not getting full boost, but they're saying it's ok, based on the gauge indicating bar, rather than psi.

thanks

Your indicator displays psi. For sure.

1 bar = 14.5 psi

Regsrds

I have a 997 turbo and my boost gauge indicates psi marked 0 9 18. The dealer says it is really bar, although. there is no decimal point in the 18. What should it show? I suspect I'm not getting full boost, but they're saying it's ok, based on the gauge indicating bar, rather than psi.

thanks

1 bar = 14.5 psi

Regsrds

That's what I thought, so I don't have an answer as to why I can't get the 1 bar max boost and can't get it into overboost at all.

thanks

Probably obvious, but wanted to make sure you knew to get the chrono to get overboost, you have to quickly push the accelerator all the way to the floor and you will see a small upward arrow to the right of the boost gauge. That is how you can tell the the overboost is enabled (for 10 seconds). Maybe already knew that, just making sure.

DC

1 bar = 14.5 psi

Regsrds

That's what I thought, so I don't have an answer as to why I can't get the 1 bar max boost and can't get it into overboost at all.

thanks

Probably obvious, but wanted to make sure you knew to get the chrono to get overboost, you have to quickly push the accelerator all the way to the floor and you will see a small upward arrow to the right of the boost gauge. That is how you can tell the the overboost is enabled (for 10 seconds). Maybe already knew that, just making sure.

DC

Yes, I know, I've never seen the arrow and not more than about 12 lb of boost.

thanks

1 bar = 14.5 psi

Regsrds

thanks

DC

Arrow ????? What arrow ? Every time you enable "sport" you get an arrow on the boost level indicator???

Please explain because I ve never seen that arrow.

My boost level indicator has a scale up to 1.2 bar. (0 0.6 1.2). Usually boost is in between 0.6 and 1.2.

Where is that arrow?????

Thanks

1 bar = 14.5 psi

Regsrds

thanks

DC

You're supposed to get the arrow in overboost. When you are in "sport" and floor the accelerator, as mentioned earlier in the thread, it's supposed to go into overboost for 10 seconds.

Arrow ????? What arrow ? Every time you enable "sport" you get an arrow on the boost level indicator???

My boost level indicator has a scale up to 1.2 bar. (0 0.6 1.2). Usually boost is in between 0.6 and 1.2.

Where is that arrow?????

Thanks

1 bar = 14.5 psi

Regsrds

thanks

DC

Where is that arrow?????

Thanks

The way the Sport Chrono works....When on....You have to abruptly mash the gas pedal to the floor and you will see an arrow appear to the right side of your center gauge...This lets you know you have engaged the overboost feature. You get 10 sec.'s of overboost with Chrono on. It is a small white up-arrow.

DC

Edited by therock88

1 bar = 14.5 psi

Regsrds

thanks

DC

Where is that arrow?????

Thanks

The way the Sport Chrono works....When on....You have to abruptly mash the gas pedal to the floor and you will see an arrow appear to the right side of your center gauge...This lets you know you have engaged the overboost feature. You get 10 sec.'s of overboost with Chrono on. It is a small white up-arrow.

DC

I cant get this thing displayed.... Questions

1. The arrow is displayed when the turbo boost level indicator is in the digital mode or in the graph mode???

2. Assuming you have done everything right (sport mode, full throttle etc) the arrow is constantly displayed or just for a few seconds its time you press full throttle

3. Maybe European spec cars dont have this arrow???

Much appreciated

1 bar = 14.5 psi

Regsrds

thanks

DC

Where is that arrow?????

Thanks

DC

1. The arrow is displayed when the turbo boost level indicator is in the digital mode or in the graph mode???

2. Assuming you have done everything right (sport mode, full throttle etc) the arrow is constantly displayed or just for a few seconds its time you press full throttle

Much appreciated

HI..

Yes, It will display regardless of what display mode you have. Just have to press the "Chrono" button, and jam the gas all the way, quickly. ( I am assuming you have the Sport Chrono Option?) If not, sorry to confuse you.

To the right in the center display. And it does display for just 10 seconds. I attached two images from the Owner's Manual to indicate what we are referring to... Hope that helps.

DC

post-7561-0-56862500-1302462068_thumb.gi

post-7561-0-89883300-1302462080_thumb.gi

1 bar = 14.5 psi

Regsrds

thanks

DC

Where is that arrow?????

Thanks

DC

Much appreciated

HI..

Yes, It will display regardless of what display mode you have. Just have to press the "Chrono" button, and jam the gas all the way, quickly. ( I am assuming you have the Sport Chrono Option?) If not, sorry to confuse you.

To the right in the center display. And it does display for just 10 seconds. I attached two images from the Owner's Manual to indicate what we are referring to... Hope that helps.

DC

Hi + thanks

My car is a 997tt 1st gen with sport chrono.

1. Where is the "Chrono" button? ? I dont have such button, only "Sport"

2. I think the images you posted are from Gen 2 Owners manual because it refers to PDK etc

"Hi + thanks

2. I think the images you posted are from Gen 2 Owners manual because it refers to PDK etc."

Yes....It is Sport Chrono....But the button just says" Sport".

Yes...The manual is from Gen 2, but the info about the sport overbost, arrow etc. is the same.

DC

"Hi + thanks

2. I think the images you posted are from Gen 2 Owners manual because it refers to PDK etc."

Yes....It is Sport Chrono....But the button just says" Sport".

Yes...The manual is from Gen 2, but the info about the sport overbost, arrow etc. is the same.

DC

Yes I see the arrow now. Very easy actually...

Sorry to have bothered for that

• 2 years later...

"Hi + thanksMy car is a 997tt 1st gen with sport chrono.

Yes....It is Sport Chrono....But the button just says" Sport".Yes...The manual is from Gen 2, but the info about the sport overbost, arrow etc. is the same.DC

So which gauge is normal and why does Porsche have 2 different gauges in the same year 997 TT ('07)

Thanks

post-70495-0-37652700-1367949399_thumb.j

post-70495-0-22655800-1367949405_thumb.j

Edited by quick