Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi Guys, I have a Cayenne turbo 03 leaking ATF slowly for the last 12 months and after joining the site and reading advice thought I would have a go at topping it up. ran it up to 40" with an infra red thermometer as mentioned and removed the lifting tube plug (larger one) expecting to top it up, lost about 1.5 ltrs before I got the plug back in! I didnt have the engine running and it was in park, would that be the reason for such a loss? left it on the ramp and came away. HELP!

• Admin

:welcome:

It's a little more complicated than that. here is the factory procedure:

Checking ATF

1. Remove engine guard.

Note!

• Secure vehicle to prevent it rolling away.

• Vehicle must be horizontal to check ATF.

2. Move selector lever to position P and continue the test process at idle speed.

Caution!

Injuries in the eye area caused by leaking ATF.

• Danger of scalding from hot ATF.

• Wear personal protective equipment (e.g. safety goggles, gloves).

Note!

• Undo oil inspection plug A only when temperature reaches 40 °C.

3. Unscrew oil inspection plug A .

post-1-0-13247400-1302203592_thumb.png

Note!

• When you unscrew the oil inspection plug, always make sure that no oil escapes. This is caused by the remaining oil on the plug in the lifting tube.

4. The oil level is correct when oil emerges at the lifting tube.

• If this is not the case, add more ATF.

5. Screw in oil inspection plug A.

Tightening torque: 70 Nm (52 ftlb.)

Topping up ATF

1. Remove engine guard.

Note!

• Secure vehicle to prevent it rolling away.

• Vehicle must be horizontal to check ATF.

Note!

• Note the test conditions.

2. Start engine, move selector lever to position P and continue at idle speed.

Caution!

Injuries in the eye area caused by leaking ATF.

Danger of scalding from hot ATF.

Wear personal protective equipment (e.g. safety goggles, gloves).

Note!

• Undo oil inspection plug A only when temperature reaches 40 °C.

3. Unscrew oil inspection plug A.

Caution!

Use only ATF approved by Porsche!

4. Fill with ATF using the oil filler for ATF until oil emerges at lifting pipe.

5. Screw in oil inspection plug A.

6. Move selector lever to position P and switch off engine.

7. Install engine guard.

Tightening torque: 70 Nm (52 ftlb.)

• Upvote 1

Yup gotta have it running and in neutral. Have fun. I just did mine. When you fill it up you dont have to buy the Porsche fluid for 30 bucks, go over to a toyota dealer and get some Type IV fluid, exact same stuff for 5 bucks a quart. Or you can use Mobil 3309 if you can find it.

Yup gotta have it running and in neutral. Have fun. I just did mine. When you fill it up you dont have to buy the Porsche fluid for 30 bucks, go over to a toyota dealer and get some Type IV fluid, exact same stuff for 5 bucks a quart. Or you can use Mobil 3309 if you can find it.

How do you know that the Toyota fluid is compatible with the Porsche transmission? I have never heard of this before.

If you have service manual you will see that the spec for the fluid is Mobil 3309. Mobil 3309 is made the Aisin transmissions in our cars, which is same as Toyota IV. You could actually use pretty much any good multi vehicle fluid or universal synthetic becasue they meets the same specs, but I would stay with the Mobil 3309 or Toyota IV. The fluid is not synthetic. These are the same transmissions in the Touarags and you can see that Mobil 3309 is used for that part number. I am a tech and have used the Toyota fluid in about 5 Cayennes / Touaregs. Save youself some money guys. Here is from Mobil site:

Mobil ATF 3309

Mobil ATF 3309 is an exceptionally high-performance lubricant that meets original equipment manufacturers’ specifications for use in certain slip-controlled lock-up automatic transmissions manufactured by Aisin AW Co. Ltd.

High performance for specific requirements:

Specially selected friction modifiers and highly refined base oils to meet the demanding requirements of Aisin slip controlled lock up converter automatic transmissions.

Meets key OEM requirements:

For many Toyota, Lexus, Volvo, Saturn, VW and other imported and domestic vehicles where Aisin transmissions are used.

Meets key Type T-IV for Toyota/Lexus vehicles

Mobil ATF 3309 is recommended for use in transmissions made by Aisin AW requiring a fluid approved against Type T-IV, JWS 3309, GM 9986195 and Audi G-052-025-A2. These Aisin AW transmissions are used in CERTAIN domestic and foreign vehicles, including Toyota, Lexus, Audi, Saturn, Ford, Volvo, Volkswagen, Saab, Porsche, and Mitsubishi.

The unique formulation of Mobil ATF 3309 is designed to provide excellent lubrication of transmissions in specified Aisin AW slip-controlled lock-up automatic transmissions. These outstanding performance capabilities translate into significant operational benefits, including:

Excellent lubricating characteristics for quiet operation and smooth shifting in approved transmissions.

Controlled friction properties for smooth and efficient transmission of power across all normal temperature ranges.

Helps to control transmission shudder and provide excellent vehicle driveability.

Helps to extend transmission life based on excellent wear control.

Long fluid life based on excellent oxidation resistance.

Excellent viscosity stability (high viscosity index) to help assure adequate lubrication without excessive thinning in severe high-temperature service or thickening at low starting temperatures.

Resistance to foaming.

Superb protection against rusting and corrosion.

Compatibility with transmission seal materials.

Applications:

Mobil ATF 3309 is recommended for use in transmissions made by Aisin AW requiring fluids approved against JWS 3309 or GM 9986195. It is also recommended for service fill applications where Toyota T-IV is needed. Please refer to the owners’ manual for proper fluid requirements.

Automatic transmissions should be checked for proper fluid levels at regular intervals, and the fluid should be changed at manufacturer-recommended intervals. However, this may vary due to your vehicle's operating conditions. Some manufacturers recommend more frequent changes of transmission fluid under severe driving conditions, such as heavy traffic, hot weather and trailer pulling.

• Admin

How do you know that the Toyota fluid is compatible with the Porsche transmission? I have never heard of this before.

You can see page 2 of the Mobil Tech Sheet - this is Porsche Cayenne only (not other Porsche models).

http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENCVLMOMobil_Super_ATF_3309.pdf