Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

vin suspect on my 71 911

flightsong

About 7 years ago I bought what I still think is a 1971 911T Targa in excellent shape. However, the vin number doesn't jive with current available data. I've tended to not trust the data out there so thought I would try this forum.

I have clear title and have moved it through 3 states always registering it with clear title.

The vin is 9111118847. The same vin # is located in 3 places on the car:

1) On a plate along the window post by driver

2) On the passenger side along the lower trim under the trunk. Large plate that even refs 911E ???

3) By the spare tire embossed on a permanent panel.

Anyone figure this out. I wish to sell the car and would really like to tell a potential buyer the real story.

Thanks

flightsong@earthlink.net

You cannot get much from old vins...This is about it:

For your Ex: VIN: 119111217

11 = 911

9 = 1969

1 = Coupe L or Luxury Model

11217 = Sequence or serial number usually 4 digits.....

Not much else. This info came from another article here...Do a search for VIN and you can find what little is available.

DC

Edited by therock88

• 1 month later...

Hello

VIN 911 1 1 1 8847 deciphers as follows;

911 > General Type

1 > Model-Year (Not actual Calendar year as Porsche counts Cars built after August Hollidays as new Year)

1 > Enginetype; T ( E would be 2 and S would be 3 )

1 > Bodytype; Targa (Reutter/Factory)

1 > Transmission; Sportomatic (Not allways the rule)

8847 > Count#

However in 1971 Porsche Stuttgart & Tamm built around 18000 Cars/Year so the 4 Digit Countnumber isn´t a Problem.

The 2,2 should carry a Aluminum TYPSCHILD on the front trunk lid apron oppesit from the Waterbootle Neck wich should be rivetet with 4 Roundhead Alloy Rivets and there should be pressed up stamped (rissen Level):

Herst.: Dr Ing Porsche KG and Type 911T/E/S.

However in that Year Porsche changed to Dr Ing Porsche GmbH and Porsche used up the old Stock with KG (Kommandit Gesellschaft).

The best would be to contact the Factory Cardex Service or Porsche Classic to verify what I decipher.

Yet they will try to sale you the Factory Cardex Delivery Sheet "Geburtsurkunde" wich will contain alle Data from the Orderbook. However that money for the cardex could be better spend in good Books like Brad Johnsons Guide to Athentency or Paul Freres 911Story.

To Verify that the VIN is correct you need to check the Bodynumber wich isn´t the VIN.

These Number is stamped to the lower dash panel under Radio Cutout. To unhide the right (Offhand/Passenger) Kneepad needs to be unscrewed (3 Nuts with 10mm Wrench 2 Minute Work if done once (Know How), except AC Knee panels)

The engine used in a 1971 T Sportomatic would be a Type 911/06 and Count# 611 9001 to 9XXX.

The 911/06 should have Zenith TIN Carbs and a Marelli Distrubutor. On some US Cars the aircleaner was upgraded to Injection Version with Cold Start fuel Sprayer Rail.

Those Zenith Carbs tend to get eaten up by modern fuels with MTBE or high percentage Alcaholics. So mostly you will find a Set Weber IDT.

Grüsse