Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997.1 facelifting question

Hi all

Recently purchased a used 05 c2S and planning to update the car to the 997.2 look but have some question marks about the parts. I am planning to buy parts seperately (not as a kit) from different websites. My question is does the front led DRL s need any control units to work perfectly as in the rear LED taillights. My car is Euro spec, I know that US spec and EU spec tallights differ in terms of signal bulbs. Is there such difference in the front DRLs in Porsche?

Thanks in advance.

Somebody did the switch with the rear lights. You need

to buy some module when you buy the rear lights.

Search is your best friend.

Paul

I know that you need that for the rear. But i dont know whether you need it for the front LEDs . I have searched everywhere but could not come up with an satisfiable answer.

Look at a close up of the two bumpers. The head lights

are somewhat different.

You would need to buy a new bumper and do

some bodywork to get the bumper to fit.

Even then the parts may not line up just right.

I suggest you buy a car with the lights.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Recently purchased a used 05 c2S and planning to update the car to the 997.2 look but have some question marks about the parts. I am planning to buy parts seperately (not as a kit) from different websites. My question is does the front led DRL s need any control units to work perfectly as in the rear LED taillights. My car is Euro spec, I know that US spec and EU spec tallights differ in terms of signal bulbs. Is there such difference in the front DRLs in Porsche?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if you did your project or found your answers... but I was very frustrated at how little information there was out there to do this conversion. People said it could be done and was, but little actual specifics.

Here is what I experienced with my 06 Carrera 4S face lift project. I just turned 40 this year in February and it was a great time to do a little something special for myself, or atleast that's what I told my wife :thumbup:

I wanted to upgrade the look of my C4S and the 2011 Carrera GTS, Speester, and sport classic came out from Porsche and I absolutely love the new Sport Design front bumper.

Since I have the wide body C4S I also added the GT2 side skirts that are also on the GTS,Sport Classic and Speedster.

Like you, I wanted to freshen the look of my C4S with new LED lights as well, which turned out to be quite the nightmare to research. Do you need a computer, what is the wiring diagram, what parts are needed, etc, etc???

Nightmare to find answers and a lot of people wanting to charge you lots of money to give you the answer... but now that I know it is not so bad executing if you have a good indy mechanic or are resourceful and can handle a wiring diagram and splicing.

IF, IF you are ONLY doing the FRONT LED upgrade and bumper... you DO NOT need a new control unit for the lights....

IF... IF you are planning to upgrade the REAR tail Lights to LED and bumper... then you WILL need a updated control unit.

For the FRONT LED upgrade we just had to modify the wiring harness that runs to the front turn signals and fog lights. You must order the 2009 LED "Mini Loom Cables"... 2 qty (L+R)... These mini cables are about 12 inches long and are the new wiring and plug that go into the updated LED turn signals. They will need to be spliced in to your existing turn/signal/fog light wiring harness that runs the entire length of your bumper.

Your existing MAIN cable plugs in just behind your passengar head light. the cable then drops down and runs along the entire bottom of your front bumper all the way to your driver side side marker light.

Along the cable you will see where there are additional wire cable looms that branch off to your turn signal/ fog light. It is those wires to the turn signals that you will have to basically cut and remove and then splice in your 2009 LED mini loom. Your old turn signal has 3 plugs /wires that feed into it for turn signal, fog light, and parking light. The New LED loom is only 1 plug that handles all three function. All the voltage conversion for front LED light is handled inside the new LED turn signal automatically. I have a great indy mechanic and he was able to get the wiring diagrams for the new LED mini cable loom as far as which wire feeds the fog light, turn signal and parking light. There is only 1 ground wire in the new LED cable loom, so your 3 grounds wires of old mini loom will be handled and spliced onto 1 now with the new LED mini loom.

You will need to be resourceful and get your hands on a diagram or have your indy look into to which 3 old "power" wires match up to the 3 power wires of the LED. Once that hurdle is done and the new cables are spliced in

it is just plug in as usual.

NOW... LED's work by turning on your parking light and this turns on the thin LED light. Pull your light knob to activate "fog lights" and now you get thin LED light PLUS Lower line of lights to give that really

nice and bright LED effect. If you have Sport Chrono pkg, then you can go into your settings on the MAIN nav/radio screen and there is a "Memory" section that has the "daytime running lights on/off" check box.

You can check that on, but your headlights will be on as well. I just use the parking light switch and pull for fog light to have that cool LED daylight running, but with no headlights..

OK, so that's all you need know for front LED's wiring only ... NOW all the parts you will need for doing the Front bumper conversion..

-2009 Front Bumper or Sport design bumper

-Lower lip spoiler for design bumper/ or plastic inserts on regular 2009

-Middle air deflector for "center mouth opening". Be sure to check if you have a center radiator for Automatic cars. PDK cars have center

radiator, so the mouth/center shroud is different for Autos vs Manual, but maybe not on 997.1 . 2009 Manual cars have just a center air deflector "wall"

that routes air to the L+R new radiator shroud. PDK cars have an "OPEN" hole that feeds air directly to center radiator.

-Left and Right updated radiator shrouds , much bigger- Old radiator shrouds too small..

-L+R Vent Grills. They also double as the LED mounts and washer nozzle holders Unit.

-Left and Right updated Led turn signal lights-

-2 mini cable looms to run to L+R LED turn signals

-Left and Right updated headlight washer nozzles- If you have head light washer.. old nozzle units will not plug into new LED Grill Unit.

I hope this helps. Price wise... I ordered everything from Luke at Sunset Porsche for a good price. Figure approximately $2500-3000 US for parts and then

whatever you can find for painting. Plus keep some money a side to pay your indy mechanic for saving you a lot of trouble and doing the wiring for you :help:

They are smart and work hard... It will be worth it. Here are a couple of pics of my 2006 Carrera 4S with facelift. ...

post-5327-0-85449500-1306519096_thumb.jp

post-5327-0-27038700-1306519127_thumb.jp

Edited by qikqbn

• 1 month later...

I was so hopeless that noone replied so I stopped looking to my thread until now. I have bought the sport design bumper as well and pretty ,uch everything except the rear bumper and the little stuf like rad shrouds and washer nozzles and grilles etc. Your post is very informing. But I do still have some questions on mind.

Does the bumper fits right on? Do you need to buy any new stuff for the fitment like bumper inner supports and etc.?

I have spoken to someone who did the same conversion and he told me that fender liner at the front that mounts to the front bumper is also needed to changed to 09> model. ?

You said that the washer nozzles needed to change. Is it only the top part of the nozzles that needs to be changed? Does the new jets at tne very top fits to the bottom part of the washers?

Is it possible to buy the front lip spoiler and make it a aerokit front bumper? Because the only difference seems like the front lip.

I dont know if you are going to read this post since it has been 2 months you put a reply here but if you do and can answer these questions I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I did the rear light conversion, and obviously I had to change the rear bumper as well. I didnt do the front because I have a GT3 front bumper and love the look. If I can somehow have the front lights also converted to led without having to change the bumper,I would do it.

I did front and rear conversion to my 997 C2S, in short bits you will need, no part numbers i'm afraid:

FRONT

BUMPER

BUMPER GRILLS , LEFT AND RIGHT AND CENTRE SCOOP (CHOICE OF 2 BETWEEN AUTO CAR WITH CENTRE RAD AND MANUAL)

NEW WASHER JETS X 2 (OLD ONES DIFFERENT SIZE AND CANT BE MODIFIED)

NEW WASHER HOSE - OLD HOSE ISN'T LONG ENOUGH AND NEEDS MODIFYING TO COMPENSATE ANGLES OF NEW JETS. BUY NEW LENGTH FROM PORSCHE BEST, THIS IS THICK HOSE

INSIDE RADIATOR SCOOPS. THESE SIT BEHIND THE BUMBER AND ACROSS THE RADS. OLD ONES ARE WRONG SIZE FOR NEW BUMPER

LED DAYLIGHT RUNNING LIGHTS

2 X MINI LOOMS THAT CONNECT TO LED LIGHTS AND WILL BE SPLICED IN TO EXISTING LOOM.

FRONT LIGHT CONTROL MODULE

REAR

REAR BUMPER

REAR LIGHTS - OLD LOOM HEADS WIL FIT IN ALTHOUGH SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT SHAPE, SLOWLY PUSH THEM ON, BUT MAKE SURE THEY FIRMLY CLIP IN,

REAR CONTROL MODULE

REAR BUMPER FIXING STRIP. THIS IS WHAT THE BUMPER SCREWS LOCATE TO FROM INSIDE TOP OF ENGINE BAY. GEN 2 SPACED OUT DIFFERENT. YOU COULD MODIFY YOUR OLD ONE BY DRILLING IN NEW FIXING HOLES

LEFT AND RIGHT EXHAUST HEAT SHIELDS. DEFFO CHANGE THESE, SOME PEOPLE USE THE GEN 1 HEATSHIELDS BUT THE BUMPER WONT SIT PROPERLY SO IF YOU ARE GOING TO THE EXTENT OF FACELIFTING BEST TO CHANGE THESE

USE THE BOTTOM CENTRE OF THE OLD GEN 1 BUMPER METAL STRIP TO ATTACH TO YOU NEW GEN 2 BUMPER. YOU WIL NEED THE OLD POT RIVETS DRILLING OUT AND REFIXING TO YOUR NEW BUMPER

REVERSING SENSORS- DONT BUY NEW ONES*** YOUR OLD ONES WONT FIT IN THE HOLDERS THAT COME WITH THE GEN 2 BUMPER. WHAT YOU CAN DO IS HEAT YOU OLD BUMPER UP SLIGHTLY WITH A HEAT GUN AND REMOVE YOUR GEN 1 SENSOR HOLDERS. THESE CAN THEN BE GLUED TO YOU GEN 2 BUMPER WITH WINDSCREEN BOND OR STRONG 3M TAPE. ENSURE YOUR OLD ONES ARE FREE FROM OLD GLUE AND FLAT AND CLEAN BEFORE FIXING TO YOUR GEN 2 BUMPER. THIS IS A BIT OF A TIME CONSUMING EXERCISE BUT SAVES YOU THE BIG EXPENSE OF BUYING 4 NEW SENSORS.

NUMBER PLATE LIGHTS CAN BE TRANSFERRED FROM YOUR OLD BUMPER.

LIGHT MODULES WILL THEN NEED PROGRAMMING AND SET TO LED'S SOME LATER CONTROL MODULES CAN BE CHANGED IN THE FIRMWARE, REARS I THINK HAVE LED OPTION BUT THESE ARE ON LATER GEN 1 CARS. FRONT WILL ALWAYS NEED CHANGING, THINK IT IS THAT WAY AROUND ANYWAY. MY 2005 NEEDED NEW MODULES FRONT AND REAR.

Tunetec

Thanks for outlining the whole process along with the parts needed. This will be a very useful guide for me during the process.

Although I have couple question marks in my head.

1- Can I have a part number for the washer hose ? Also does the metal nozzles at the very top also needs to be replaced?

2- ''USE THE BOTTOM CENTRE OF THE OLD GEN 1 BUMPER METAL STRIP TO ATTACH TO YOU NEW GEN 2 BUMPER. YOU WIL NEED THE OLD POT RIVETS DRILLING OUT AND REFIXING TO YOUR NEW BUMPER'' i did not understand which part you are talking about here ?

3- I heard that some people trim their old heat shield a little bit to fit it to the new gen bumper. What is tne problem with the old ones? Are they too big? How much did you pay for the new one ?

Thanks a lot

Tunetec

Thanks for outlining the whole process along with the parts needed. This will be a very useful guide for me during the process.

Although I have couple question marks in my head.

1- Can I have a part number for the washer hose ? Also does the metal nozzles at the very top also needs to be replaced?

2- ''USE THE BOTTOM CENTRE OF THE OLD GEN 1 BUMPER METAL STRIP TO ATTACH TO YOU NEW GEN 2 BUMPER. YOU WIL NEED THE OLD POT RIVETS DRILLING OUT AND REFIXING TO YOUR NEW BUMPER'' i did not understand which part you are talking about here ?

3- I heard that some people trim their old heat shield a little bit to fit it to the new gen bumper. What is tne problem with the old ones? Are they too big? How much did you pay for the new one ?

Thanks a lot

1) You have to replace the whole washer jet it is in a complete unit it is not just a pipe connected to the top bit that sticks out. The jets are about 4 inches long and lock in to the bumper complete in one unit with a chrome top. The hose is standard washer jet hose about an inch in diameter. The existing can be used vou need about another 2 feet of hose and a t piece adaptor to make it all fit properly. The hosing was the only part that needed to be fitted properly because the air scoops behind the bumper have a recess for the pipe.

The rear bumper at the bottom centre between the exhaust pipe holes has a slide on metal strip where a screw locates it to the bottom of the car. This is pot riveted on to the bumper. You will need to take this off and fix to your Gen 2 bumper.

You could trim the heat shields but the Gen 2 bumper locating screws are in a different place than the Gen 1 so it will need modifying a bit. Also as the back of the car is pretty open to the eye, no inner wheel arch trims it may look a bit ugly and defeat the whole idea of upgrading to the newer spec.

Tunetec

I have the exact year, same color C2S as well. I purchased the aerokit front bumper (which is a bit different) and plan to put a front and rear spoiler to bring it to a 997.2 Aerokit look. Also will be buying the mirrors and turbo 2 wheels afterwards. Hope the result turns out to be good. I forgot to mention the dynamic cornering headlights ( just for visual I know the cornering wont function) .

So I dont wanna be a PIA, but have some last questions.

When purchasing the hose you just bought a spare hose and a T connector and added this to the existing one? What exactly you putchased from the dealer?

The metal strap is riveted to the bumper you said. So when removing the gen 1 bumper, I will remove the rivets and after the gen 2 is installed have it re-riveted to te new bumper? ( is it simple to do? )

You said the view of the heat shields wont be good. But this is only when the car is on a lift or something right ? How much you paid for the heat shields? Assuming the exhaust trims are expensive which I have bought also , the heat shields will be pricey ?

Thanks

Tunetec

I have the exact year, same color C2S as well. I purchased the aerokit front bumper (which is a bit different) and plan to put a front and rear spoiler to bring it to a 997.2 Aerokit look. Also will be buying the mirrors and turbo 2 wheels afterwards. Hope the result turns out to be good. I forgot to mention the dynamic cornering headlights ( just for visual I know the cornering wont function) .

So I dont wanna be a PIA, but have some last questions.

When purchasing the hose you just bought a spare hose and a T connector and added this to the existing one? What exactly you putchased from the dealer?

The metal strap is riveted to the bumper you said. So when removing the gen 1 bumper, I will remove the rivets and after the gen 2 is installed have it re-riveted to te new bumper? ( is it simple to do? )

You said the view of the heat shields wont be good. But this is only when the car is on a lift or something right ? How much you paid for the heat shields? Assuming the exhaust trims are expensive which I have bought also , the heat shields will be pricey ?

Thanks

I actually used some hosing off another car, think it was a Mercedes, its all the same diameter, chopped it up and extended the existing piping. If you speak to your Porsche dealer they can sell it you in a length it is standard washer hose be the same for all the porsche models i guess. The hose fixes in the bottom part of the bumper at the bottom, fit you grills first and then locate it in, its a bit of a tight fitting thats why its best to get the lenght correct before fitting properly.

To put the metal strip back on the rear bumper is a couple of small rivets, you can do it with a hand rivet gun, easy to do. If you haven't got one you can buy cheap from hardware DIY store, in fact in the UK you can buy them fromt the cheap pound shops.

The heatshieds have fixings in them that the bumper attaches to. As the Gen 2 bumper has locating holes in a different place the existing heatshields dont fit very well and protude slightly. Cant remember off the top of my head the price of them but they weren't that expensive may be 100 pounds per side. Personally i would change them as you dont want the bumper bulging out at the sides or a view of the heatshield with bits cut out. It will still be visible even when the car is on the ground, if you look at yours now you can see them behind the back wheels.

2011_Porsche_997GT3RS_SharkWerks_Exhaust_EVOMSIT_HRE_C40_Black_13.JPG

By saying the heat shields being changed, do you mean the ones that are on top of the mufflers ? (In the pictures you can see them left and right with the mufflers removed ). I dont see them getting screwed to the bumper as they are screwed to the chassis .

• 2 weeks later...

Do I need the center air routing that routes the air to center radiator. I believe my car has one I saw it. Or do I jist buy them for left and right ?

If you have a centre rad then the middle vent is just a clup in trim that leaves the front open for ventilation, it is different to mine which is solid with deflectors left and right.

img_5124.jpg

I found this one also in a Germany website. It is also a heat shield but with the part number given in the website I dont find it in PET.

Yes those are the heat sheilds but the bottom of the bumper wraps around the bottom of them and the screw holes are in a different place. I believe the plastic solid parts on the heatshields are a different shape hence the new bumper stretching over them rather than sitting flush. Some bits have to be cut off or modified, its not ideal anyway.

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone can help me...

I plan on facelifting my '08 997.1 to 997.2 (both front and rear bumper using OEM LEDs). I got the front conversion all figured out and almost done with the project..

My question is specific to the rear LED tail light wiring:

I've read every post I could find on this topic, but it's not clear what needs to be done for a non-turbo models (the most detailed posts were from Turbo & GT2 owners).

In summary I have the following:

- 997.2 OEM LEDs

- 997 618 260 08 updated rear control unit (already has this as mine is a late-model '08)

- Waiting to buy 997.2 rear oem bumper (hoping to get the wiring figured out first)

From my research, next steps should be:

- Code rear control unit to 'LED' option instead of the 'incandescent'...done by dealer w/ PIWIS or Durametric Pro (wish I had one to borrow)!

- Swap PINs in front control unit A11 to A36 and A42 to A31). I believe the pins have to be moved from the regular bulb output to the LED output in the front module.

My questions are:[/font]

- Do I also need to have the front control unit / updated and/or coded for LED? The turbo/GT2 owners did this, but wasn't sure if it's because the front DRL's have LED turn signals or not? One person stated this needed to be done even thought they didn't update front DRLs.

- Can anyone confirm if these are the correct PINs to swap., there was also a mention of swapping other PINs, but could be related to front DRLs.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!