Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removal of PCM1 Nav Unit

Hi Everyone:

I'm starting an upgrade of my PCM1 system to a double DIN unit and the first step is to remove the PCM Nav CD player which sits where the "upper shelf" would be in the console. My question is where do the radio removal keys go in order to be able to remove it. Sides or Top/bottom??

Will be upper shelf cubby bin (which I plan to buy at Sunset) just slide in there and replace the Nav Unit.

Thanks!!

You don't use keys to remove PCM1. Unclip the two switch panels either side of the unit, by levering up from the bottom edge with a butter knife or similar. When you get them off you will see a sprung catch on either side of the unit, which release it from the frame.

• 4 weeks later...

Richard:

Thanks for the tip. Got the side panels off (very easy) and removed the sprung catch from either side near the top (top left in the pic). This allowed the CD unit to come out of the frame about an inch. See attached picture. From there on, it won't budge. It seems to me that there is another hard stop in there. The sides look pretty clear but something may be catching on the top or bottom.

Any ideas? It's kinda funny that I can't wait to remove this PCM1 system and replace it with a shelf!!!!!

Thanks!

post-52879-0-23501800-1309020283_thumb.j

Edited by jimmy3530

My bad. I didn't realise you were referring to the navigation drive - I thought you meant the head unit.

You need to uncip the two small covers off the front of the unit at the sides, and put the removal rod tools in the holes which are under the covers.. Then you have to give it a good pull. They are very tight in the cage, and the cage often pulls out, rather thanthe drive.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

RIchard:

Thanks. I pulled out the covers on both sides of the unit and see the holes. I don't have "rod removal tools" but I can probably make something to fit. What kind of action is required? Thanks so much for your insights here. Always good to get advice from someone whose done this before.

OK..so I figured it out. I just stuck an allen key in each of the 4 holes, pushed them in and voila, the unit slid out. Unclipped the power, data, and ground and now its sitting in my unused Porsche parts bin. I should also mention that before you slide in the new upper shelf, you also need to remove the thin metal supppot cage. It comes out after a little bit of wiggling/coaxing.

Now the next step is to buy a 2DIN unit with navigation and use that fabulous kit from Euromotorsports.

Thanks and I hope these few insights help someone else.

Now the next step is to buy a 2DIN unit with navigation and use that fabulous kit from Euromotorsports.

I also have 2002 C4 with PCM1 that works fine, but seems really dated. I've been hesitant to rip it out because I have the earlier Fiber wired BOSE hi-end system - whch still seems to work pretty well. I really just want to change the head unit and replace the CD changer with an iPod interface.

What is the kit from Euromotorsports? I'm looking for an integration 2DIN Nav/Radio/iPod system too. Any help is appreciated.

Sorry for the typo but its Euro Motorspeed. Check out their store on ebay and of course the multiple posts on this forum describing it. It's essentially an adapter kit for new 2DIN headunits. It consists of the wiring adapters and a very high quality faceplate that replaces the PCM1 unit. Highly recommend it.

On the headunit side, the main providers are Kenwood, JVC, Pioneer, Sony and Jensen. I like the JVC KW-NT30HD, it has a removable faceplate which is nice.

• 3 months later...