Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2004 Cayenne S Engine Knock, Cylinder or Water Pump Issue

Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2004 Cayenne S with 71,000 miles and shortly after I started to hear a knocking noise. I searched this site, as well as others, I am not sure if it in caused by the water pump or something far worse like cylinder damage. I would greatly appreciate your input, feedback, and suggestions.

Please visit the YouTube link below to see and hear the knocking sound I am referring to.

Edited by Sam_You_L

its very hard to tell from an audio stream because sound travels and it is really hard to know where it is coming from. An old trick I learned is to use a screwdriver and place the metal end on where you think it is coming from, putting your ear to the handle (stay clear of the fan! If you are a doctor or nurse you can use your stethoscope. If it is coming from the engine covers I would remove the plugs and rent a borescope to look inside. For what it is worth it sounds to me like a valve gear bad clearance noise

PKN

its very hard to tell from an audio stream because sound travels and it is really hard to know where it is coming from. An old trick I learned is to use a screwdriver and place the metal end on where you think it is coming from, putting your ear to the handle (stay clear of the fan! If you are a doctor or nurse you can use your stethoscope. If it is coming from the engine covers I would remove the plugs and rent a borescope to look inside. For what it is worth it sounds to me like a valve gear bad clearance noise

PKN

Hey PKN,

Thanks for the advice, I will be sure to try it. I purchased the vehicle 2 days ago and reside in Illinois. The dealer told me that it is a minor issue to fix, may cost a couple hundred or a thousand, nothing too major, but that is not the case. I took it to my local Porsche dealership to check the car. The entire shop pretty much huddled around the "noisy" Cayenne and agreed that the clanking sound was due to a bad engine, that there is internal motor damage, and would cost $20,000 to get a new motor, which was more that I paid for the car itself. They all advised me to return the car immediately, so I called and went to dealership, but they "closed early" on Firday, but did not post it anywhere at the dealership.

In conclusion, this car is not what I expected. My father and I wanted a Cayenne for so many years, but not one with a screwed up engine. Also, the air conditioner does not work, nor is the navigation working properly, all which were not brought up by the dealer.

Does anyone know if I can return the car, or if anyone has been in a similar situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Does anyone know if I can return the car, or if anyone has been in a similar situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Sam,

I don't think anyone here can tell you IF you can return the car since you've given no details of the purchase contract terms. There is a sales term known as "AS-IS" - meaning you bought the thing with all warts/problems/etc, known and unknown. If that's part of your purchase contract - unless your state has a law (and lots do) allowing you to cancel a purchase within ## hours - you are screwed. If your state does have that sort of law - you must notify the seller within so many hours - and I would want to do it in a way that can be traced, ie - certified mail, a sherrifs deputy, whatever.

In this case you're asking for advice on an item you spent some considerable sum of money on - and you're gonna do what people on the Interwebz tell you to? BAD idea. It may be time for you to visit a professional - like a real life in person lawyer. It might also be a very good idea on your next purchase if you pay to have a PPI done (Pre-Purchase-Inspection) by the Porsche dealer on any other used vehicle you might consider, since it would seem like non-working AC would be obvious even to a casual browser of a used vehicle.. again a case where professional help might save you a buncha'money.

Good luck!

I have heard this before and I'm afraid it's does sound like a failing cylinder/piston. Return the vehicle asap.

Hello Wvicary,

Thanks for your input, even though it is bad news. I am going to get the car scoped by my local Porsche dealership today. I will be sure to update you all regarding the knocking issue and post pictures as well... Wish me luck.

Is this a common issue? I have seen this occur on multiple forums and sites, all with the similar problem. It appears that most were able to resolve this within the warranty, but many are SOL.

Thanks,

Sam

I have the exact same problem. And I have also seen this come up on many sites....cylinder scoring/failure in a 2004 or 2005 Cayenne. What a bummer. I thought Porsches were supposed to be great cars. So my question is this...if this is recurring problem with this model and certain years, shouldn't this be a recall issue?

So here are my other questions...and I appreciate a response to any of them:

• I have read some posts about oil scraper rings being installed upside down. Does anyone know anything more about this? I guess there is a VIN # range, and you can check to see if your Cayenne falls within the range.
  • Has anyone ever heard of the cylinder liner going bad because the material was faulty?
  • Does anyone have access to TSB 1324? I would love to read the entire bulletin.

Thank you!

Suzoom