Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 Carrera with 161k miles

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/2467883714.html

I have seen this ad.

My budget at the moment is tight, however, I am able to put at least 400-500 a month on this car.

Would this car be good?

high mile carreras back in 80's run forever as I have been heard and I believe this model is more recent and could do better.

I am not sure when I'd need rebuilt(Engine, Transmission).

Or any high cost fixes.

Would this be a good buy? I am willing to lower the price to at least 11.5k.

Carrera is awesome, I don't care about driving a high mile car, it's just about the maintainence

Plus, I do drive long distances(2,000 mile round trip) once in 2 months or so. I drive around 30-50 miles a day.

I will most likely put at least 20k miles a year.

any suggestions?

• Admin

Sorry, too many miles IMHO.

Later model rear wing, Sand Metallic would have been a special order color - so any repair would require special order paint and a really good body shop.

If you decide to proceed I strongly recommend a PPI and Carfax (how many previous owners).

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/2467883714.html

My budget at the moment is tight, however, I am able to put at least 400-500 a month on this car. Would this car be good?

I understand your situation. That is one great looking and crazy ride for $13,000! 996s age very gracefully--I think people get the impression that the youthful appearance correlates to high reliability. You have to remember that car retailed for $70,000-$90,000 when new. Parts and repair costs do not scale down as the car gets older.

Your comment above makes this easy... I would say don't even think about it. A failed IMS or cracked head on a car like this can result in repair expenses exceeding the value of car. 20,000 miles per year could mean two sets of rear tires per year--have you checked tire prices for this car? 2-3 oil changes per year could be $600-900 annually. For $13,000 you might be able to pick up a decent 350Z--I know, not quite the same as a 911, but a better match for your situation I think.

Edited by j_beede

My budget at the moment is tight, however, I am able to put at least 400-500 a month on this car.

I would not suggest a 996 on that budget.

They are great cars but major repairs will sink you unless you have a solid emergency fund or strong cash flow. Secondly, maintenance can be costly compared to other vehicles (e.g. 10L of premium synthetic oil per change).

If it is not the maintinance, it will be the gas mileage and a heavy right foot that will get you over that budget. I probably put 10 - 15K Miles a year on my C2 and it deffinitly isnt cheap filling it constantly with Chevron 94...

Tires arent so bad Falken FK-452's seemed to work pretty good (30K+ Miles and almost 3 years)

Edited by Chris_C

I also agree - this amount of mileage could result in some unexpected and expensive repairs. If you're on a budget, it's probably not a wise choice. As an example, I spent roughly $2,000 this week that I didn't expect on my 996. These are generally reliable cars, but when they do break, it's not cheap to fix them.

It is hard to be patient but I'd pass with that many miles. There will always be more P-cars for sale in the future.

Really try to get a 1 or 2 owner car when you do take the plunge. It is easier to track the cars history.