Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cabriolet Window Problem

Help-

I am having a problem with the automatic window lift on my 02 cab and am looking for some help. The window seems to go down some when the door is opened, but when I close it the very top of the glass still hits the plastic edge on the convertable top. Once closed, the window goes up automatically as its supposed to. I found the post that explained how the window functions and removed the door panel so I could inspect the mechanism and check the switched as shown on the post and found that the window functioned properly with the door panel off. When I replaced it, the problem returned. To make matters worse, after disconnecting the door airbag, I now have an airbag malfunction warning when the car is started and the airbag light is lit.

Any advice on fixing the window lift problem or getting the airbag light reset will be appreciated.

I have the same problem. I will have to go to a mechanic with the right software to get the airbag reset. I have been looking into buying the Durametric unit to reset it myself. i was going to wait until I had the window resolved in case I have to pull it apart again.

I know this is a little late, but it is best if you disconnect the battery when working on electrical components. This would prevent the airbag light. Have you just tried re-training the windows? Lower all the way and hold window button down for 5 seconds, repeat all the way up and hold for 5 seconds.

Try this experiment: without opening the door even a little bit, stand there and pull out on the exterior handle. Does the window drop each time you pull out the handle? Does the window fully raise each time you release the door handle? If the answer to both of these questions is "yes", then the microswitch on that exterior handle is good. Try the same thing with the interior door handle to eliminate it as being bad. (from Kim)

• Upvote 1

My driver door is doing the same thing. I tried what you suggested and everything appears to function properly except the window lowering function travel is only 4mm causing the glass to still hit the roof when the door is shut. I tried to retrain the window but noticed no change. When I open the driver door with the interior or exterior handle the glass only travels down 4mm in either case (passenger side is 13mm). With the door closed the roof overlaps the glass by 5mm (passenger side is 4-8mm). When I raise the glass with the door open I get 15mm of upward travel upon closing the door; this seams to work properly (passenger side is 13mm).

I just changed out my regulator because I had a stretched cable. Prior to the replacement the motor rotation when lifting either handle provided enough travel to move the window down by hand the 13mm's required to clear the edge of the roof. Now that I changed the regulator it looks like the motor is not cycling enough except with the door open???

I can adjust the window but if I lower the glass any further I am afraid water will get in. I searched the site for any other adjustment procedures but could not find anything.

Is there a way to adjust the window lowering function travel? Why would the travel be 4mm when using the door handles and 13mm with the door open?

• 5 weeks later...

My car has suddenly developed this problem as well. The window attempts to lower when using both the interior and exterior handles, so I know it's not a microswitch. It just doesn't lower far enough. If I tap the top of the window once I open the door, it will fall the rest of the way down, so that it doesn't hit when I shut the door. I tried putting some silicone lubricant along the window seal to see if maybe it was just sticking, but that doesn't seem to have helped. When I shut the door, it raises like it should. Anyone come up with a solution for this?

I have the same problem on my 2000 C2 cab. Window drops just a little bit not enough for the glass to clear off the plastic frame on the top.

I did many searches and it seems like my car has stretched cable which can be adjusted or replaced with the new regulator.

I have not fixed it yet....due to tight budget. What I do is remember to lower the window a bit before open the door :-(

Edited by nghiaho58

I finally gave up messing with it and went to the dealership. The tech told me the window was sitting too high. When I replaced the regulator i inserted the glass into the clamps as far down as I could get it in. I had everthing marked off so I could get the window back where it was. The clamps come with a small piece of rubber that bridges accross the 2 sides of each clamp and forms a nest for the glass to sit in. I know I had the glass down all the way in the clamps. The tech explained that since the glass was too high the motor was trying to make the full cycle up but was torquing out after only travelling 2 or 3 mm's. When the door was opened the glass would therefore only drop the 2 or 3 mm's. This does not quite explain to me why the window stopped in the correct position when raised with the door open?

An easy way to check that you have the glass in the correct position is to open the door and lock it by manually actuating the lock mechanism with a screw driver, this will raise the glass as if the door is shut. In this position the angled part of the glass near the rear view mirror assembly should line up with the top of the door created by the triangular plastic peice to which the mirro assembly is attached.

He tried to lower my glass using the adjustments at the bottom of the door but could not get it low enough. He ended up opening up the door and finding that the regulator needed adjustment in the spring assembly portion to tighten the whole system. He rigged this up using a couple of metal washers. He told me that this was likely a function of the non-original Porsche part that I purchased. In the end I still came out ahead a few $100's doing it myself, using a non-Porsche part and having him adjust it. If I had to do it again I would likely use a Porsche part since I am not sure how long the fix he put in place will last. It seams the adjustment of the windows needs to be very exact and any variation in the regulator can lead to problems.

I don't think there's any way my window could be too high. I haven't done anything to the windows or doors in the four years I've owned the car and this problem just spontaneously developed.

Edited by JeTexas

If your glass can be pushed down by hand about 1/2" with the door open then your regulator cable is likely stretched and the regulator needs to be replaced.

What I was reffering to is the adjustment of the glass after replacing the regulator. I had the same condition as you and replaced my regulator, but after doing so the travel was still only 2 to 3mm. The difference is that after replacing the regulator the movement by hand is gone. My glass was not in the correct start position preventing the motor from moving the full 1/2". Once this was corrected it started working right.

Sorry about the confusion.