Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

87 911 - Oil Level Gauge question

jmeckles

Recently purchased a 1987 911 Carrera with 87K miles and it checked out great except the following bothers me after taking delivery. The oil level gauge runs right where it should when idling on a flat surface at operating temp, BUT when on a level highway at normal speeds the needle pretty much stays in the red zone. What bothers me is that the Owners Manual says 'Never let the needle reach the red range of the dial'. Checking the oil level with the dipstick shows no problem and the oil pressure gauge reads steady and appropriate for the RPM's.

I'm thinking that at speed the gauge sending unit in the oil tank has insufficient oil available to be read. Maybe just a bad gauge but it reads OK at idle. Hopefully, oil pickup from the tank going to the sump is not being starved (although if so I would think oil pressure would fall). Obviously, I don't want to have a problem growing into a monster over time.

I would appreciate all input from anyone who might shed some light on this issue for me??

Thanks to all in advance!

I think you'll find they all do that. Mine certainly does. The level gauge is only any use when the oil is hot, and the car is at tickover on level ground.

Edit: I just looked at my driver's handbook, and it says that too. "the level cannot be read off the gauge when the car is in motion".

Edited by Richard Hamilton

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Bruce Anderson would tell you (God rest his soul) to trust the dipstick 1st and foremost. Get a feel for what the oil level gauge is showing you when the dipstick reads about halfway between the marks.