Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2003 996 C2 Tiptronic IMS Bearing Replacement

I asked before to no avail...

1. Does anyone know the time involved to perform the LN IMS retrofit bearing on a 2003 C2 Tiptronic 996? *( LN's website only states it will take considerably longer than a manual tranny. )

2. Who can be trusted to perform this for a "non-dealer" rate between West Palm Beach and Daytona Beach??

No problems yet...But, why wait. Thanks!

A recommendation, buy the IMS guardian from Flat 6 Innovations (pre-order now, ships sometime Sept/Oct this year).

The device will provide preemptive warming before the bearing fails. You must act quickly though if the alarm goes off. But it will save the expense of bearing R&R unless/until you actually need it.

http://www.flat6innovations.com/shop/home.php?cat=399

Your bearing might last forever and you don't need to undergo the expense.

If money is not an object though, have it replaced and also buy the IMS guardian.

The tip removal probably adds a couple hours shop time (no more than 2-4) over a manual.

A recommendation, buy the IMS guardian from Flat 6 Innovations (pre-order now, ships sometime Sept/Oct this year).

The device will provide preemptive warming before the bearing fails. You must act quickly though if the alarm goes off. But it will save the expense of bearing R&R unless/until you actually need it.

http://www.flat6inno...ome.php?cat=399

If money is not an object though, have it replaced and also buy the IMS guardian.

The tip removal probably adds a couple hours shop time (no more than 2-4) over a manual.

I missed this in the forums...very interesting. Thanks!

I just had the LN Engineering IMS replacement bearing installed when I had the clutch replaced on my '03 C2. I had it done by an LNE approved shop that has performed other such replacements so it is warranted. I sleep much better as a result. Here is a link (list is a year old, so check if interested) to the shops that LN Engineering says can do their IMS bearing replacement so you have a two-year warranty on it:

http://www.lnengineering.com/June%202010%20Dealer%20Listing.pdf

I asked before to no avail...

1. Does anyone know the time involved to perform the LN IMS retrofit bearing on a 2003 C2 Tiptronic 996? *( LN's website only states it will take considerably longer than a manual tranny. )

2. Who can be trusted to perform this for a "non-dealer" rate between West Palm Beach and Daytona Beach??

No problems yet...But, why wait. Thanks!

The reason why Mr. Raby's website throws an error is because he does not offer HTTPS (encryption) for checkout.

My suggestion (and highly experienced recommendation) is that this has nothing to do with the shop's ability to provide excellent service, rather it is just an under-sight of the company he has outsourced to author an and maintain his website. If you want to purchase something from him, simply select phone order, then call in your credit card information. That way the transaction will be secure.

There are other problems with his website as well, such as the awful color scheme and numerous broken links.

I believe his website is the last thing on his list though.

http://www.flat6inno...ome.php?cat=399

You've got to be kidding me. "IMS Guardian?" How exactly is this supposed to work? You can't watch the timing deviation, as by the time that shifts, it's certainly too late. You might, hypothetically (and I emphasize, hypothetically) be able to do vibration analysis, however, as a pilot who is very well versed in the vibration analysis that turbine engines undergo as part of routine maintenance, I can assure you that if this technology were to be adapted to an automotive, piston engine, only a manufacturer would have the time and funds to get a large enough amount of data to plot to have any sort of meaningful use.

There is absolutely no denying that that the M96 engine suffers several engineers flaws, the largest being the IMS issue. The factory bearing is known to be junk, while the LN unit is light years ahead. Does it 100% remove the risk? Of course not, but as others have said, you'd sleep much sounder knowing that it's been done.

As to the added amount of labor on a tip, I don't know if it's the case on a C2 tip, but I helped a friend do a C4 tip, and we have to drop the engine engine/ gearbox as a unit from the car and then separate on the shop floor, so it may be more than a few hours more.