Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dead Animal Smell (Please Help)

I have been disassembling the front of my 01 TT looking for the source of a bad smell. There is evidence that a mouse or something has been in the compartment where the battery, brake fluid reservoir, and cabin air filter are located.

My main question is: what is below the sheet metal floor directly underneath the brake fluid reservoir? There is a black funnel shaped grommet that appears to have been chewed through and possibly used as an escape route. I would like to access this area to see if the animal died in there but I thought I'd check with you guys first and get some advice on the best way to get in there to clean it out.

Thank you

Are you talking about the clutch reservoir or brake fluid reservoir. There is a lot of wiring in both cases. Hope the mouse didn't heat anything in there....

post-29683-0-48796400-1311013369_thumb.j

post-29683-0-29039600-1311013409_thumb.j

Edited by jpflip

first off thank you guys for jumping in and helping...

JP, thank you for correcting me, I did mean to say the clutch res. Are you familiar with the grommet? I would guess that there normally isn't an oddly shaped hole in the bottom...? Looking at your picture of the clutch res, it is directly below the forward most fitting of the green line shown. Does that lead to the area that Loren was referring to? Is there a way in there from below? Also, how would I get to the area that Loren mentioned if it is different form the one below the grommet?

You've also brought up a good point about the wiring. it looks like there has been some foul play at the large wiring junction but I used a mirror and a bright light and I can't find any evidence that any of wire insulation was chewed through. Hopefully the only damage there was to the tape/wrap.

Thank you for posting the pictures too.

Loren, your emoticon looks a lot like me right now...

If, on the pic I just added, it is what you are asking for (see arrow), it is only a rubber plug with an opening "funnel type" that it used to serve as a drain if water or oil is accumulated in this compartment.... The other picture posted is to show you the maze of wires is normal.. The other place you should look at is under the fuel access cover. The black cover held with four nuts....

post-29683-0-98231500-1311020959_thumb.j

post-29683-0-96551100-1311020979_thumb.j

post-29683-0-04213800-1311021616_thumb.j

Edited by jpflip

I'm on it... Thanks

That is the grommet and I think the critter chewed the bottom of the funnel because the hole at the bottom does not look factory... From your statement it sounds like it does not lead anywhere an animal would get stuck and die.

That is the wire bundle. It looks like you might have separated the wires a bit. Did you do that to inspect them? I think that is what I should do to verify there aren't any shorts.

I can't thank you enough for your input.

Pleasure to help a desperate TT owner ;-) Yes I did a bit of wire inspection after a clutch slave failure, that make the clutch reservoir overfilled, and the wire soaked with oil (Pentosin)....

If you are desperate take out every single panel in the trunk and also the carpet. Really easy to remove after you take out the big rubber seal around the complete trunk you remove some plastic fasteners, disc changer and panel besides it and out goes the carpet... Let me be honest with you ;-) I've had visitor too! I did a stupid thing about two years ago. I decided to store, for the winter, a big bag of bird seeds in the garage besides the Porsche. The mouse used the inside of the TT as a kitchen table, I guess. There was bird seeds everywhere... Under the fuel cover on the top on the fuel tank access, in the engine compartment on the expansion tank, behind the driver seat etc etc..... Keep us inform of your findings and good luck, J.P.

So far nothing. Still need need to pull the battery tray and do more cleaning.

Loren, not sure I know where you were telling me to look. I checked under the plastic cover JP recommended. So far no evidence outside the battery area.

JP, not to get off topic on my own thread but I'd be interested to hear more about the clutch fluid problem you worked on. Did you end up getting it fixed? I've had a rag under my reservoir for years. Always thought it ws just a leaky cap...

JP, not to get off topic on my own thread but I'd be interested to hear more about the clutch fluid problem you worked on. Did you end up getting it fixed? I've had a rag under my reservoir for years. Always thought it ws just a leaky cap...

If your clutch fluid reservoir is overfilling, this fluid (Pentosin) comes from the steering pump reservoir. (always keep an eye on your steering pump reservoir oil level) The clutch system on the TT uses the steering pump pressure to relief the effort when depressing the clutch pedal. There is a valve that is called the slave actuator or clutch operating cylinder mount on the transmission and this valve in many cases is failing internally. The fluid inside this valve is migrating into the low pressure portion and overfilled the clutch reservoir. The only solution is to replace this actuator (item#1) or modify the complete system with a GT2 conversion. If you do a search you will found lots of information about this subject Also, because you are a contributor on Renntech, you have access to a DIY that I did: Slave replacement.... . J.P.

post-29683-0-22941800-1311085898_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

I am sorry for you. The fuel tank is within a metal box (see picture from a front end, view from the top). It is not easy to reach but after removing the underside plastic fairings look just over the front differential, may be you will found something.....

post-29683-0-61076400-1317474246_thumb.j

Edited by jpflip

• 2 weeks later...

Mice like to find their way into my cabin filter during the winter. It's happened twice now; 'twas a PITA getting the smell out the second time with the carcass, urine, and God knows what else the critter dragged into my cabin filter housing. Thankfully he used the filter itself as a bed and didn't get under it.

Try taking off the fascia immediately left of the battery cover. You'll see the filter housing just under the windshield. Might as well replace your cabin filter while you're in there... whatever you do, don't spend $90 down at the dealer. You can get a charcoal filter for $30 on Pelican or elsewhere.

I used a combo of Nature's Miracle, copious amounts of water, and a citrus cleaner from Stoner (but not on the paint). The smell of orange mouse ***** has finally dissapated after about five months. This winter, I'm going to stuff the whole area full of something to make it inhabitable... not sure what.

Good luck tracking the smell.

Mark