Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

987 DME into a 986 to clear error codes

Anyone know if I could put a 987 DME into a 986 so I can contect it up to a PIWIS and clear the error codes?

A friend of mine has just rebuilt an accident damaged 987 and needs the airbag light cleared and He lives at he other end of the country to me.

If he sends me his 987 DME would it be possible to put it in my 986 to save me a trip?

Sorry, I don't think this would work. The DMEs are fairly specific to model years, especially between a 987 and 986.

An easier way would be to find a shop or person with a PST2, PIWIS, or Durametric that can just clear the airbag code.

I believe the airbag light will reset itself if the problem is fixed and you do something like 40 drive cycles (restarts).

Edited by logray

An airbag light can ONLY be reset with Durametric, a PST2, or PIWIS tester -- providing the fault the caused the light has been corrected.

Step 1 is read out the fault code and make sure the fault has been corrected.

Hi Loren. The airbag light was trigged because the airbag was set off during the crash and has now been replaced with a new one. I understand that the light will be triggered again if there's further faults but the question is can I reset by putting it in my 986 and clearing the code.

• Moderators

Yes as long as there are no faults.

In some cases the airbag and airbag controller must be replaced. And in 2002 and newer Porsches the seatbelts have to be replaced as they are pyrotechnic driven and fire only once.

Loren, aren't the wiring harness connection for the DME's different on some 986's and 987's?

Edited by JFP in PA

• Admin

Yes as long as there are no faults.

In some cases the airbag and airbag controller must be replaced. And in 2002 and newer Porsches the seatbelts have to be replaced as they are pyrotechnic driven and fire only once.

Loren, aren't the wiring harness connection for the DME's different on some 986's and 987's?

Yes, the connectors are different and the number wires and where they go. It does not make sense to even consider this as you would need to reprogram both DMEs twice for the change --- and I can reset an airbag light with the same tool in about 1 minute.

Sorry, I don't think this would work. The DMEs are fairly specific to model years, especially between a 987 and 986.

Sorry I should have been more specific in my original reply to your post and then perhaps we could have avoided all of this confusion. LOL. :-)

The 986 (depending on year) uses DME 5.2.2, 7.2, or 7.8. All of which have different pinouts than the 7.8.1 DME (2005-2008) and/or SDI3 (2009+) system that is used in all 987 cars.

So in other words you couldn't just "plug" his DME into your car and have it work without doing some modifications to your wiring harness. All to reset an airbag warning code?

That being said it possible to "bench wire" his DME to your PIWIS or PST or Durametric out of the car and clear a code... but you need the pinouts so you can wire the power, ground, and k line successfully from a reliable 12v power supply. It would be easier to ship or loan him your computer so he can reset the light. Or perhaps seek a fellow renntech member who has a computer near him so they can take the 5 minutes to reset the light. I've also had simple work like this provided for FREE by a Porsche dealer. Yes, believe it or not. FREE.

Edited by logray