Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

trouble shooting failed air suspension compressor

Hi

It looks like my air suspension compressor has finally died. It is generating the 1772 error, and then subsequently the 1400 error, and the compressor does not seem to be working.

The leveling system is however working correctly and the car will still automatically adjust itself if parked on the slope.

I bled off some air using the tyre inflation hose and verified that the compressor is not kicking in.

I took off the plastic cover under the car and checked the connections to the compressor, they were all tight.

Out of interest I also checked the large connector with two large wires (brown and red) which I assumed is the power supply for the compressor.

There did not seem to be any voltage at this connector, which I thought was a bit strange.

I checked the two fuses in the right hand fuse panel (27 & 48?) and they were fine.

Is there anything else I should check before I rebuild the compressor? Did I get the correct fuses, the manual is not very helpful in it's naming of the fuses.

Thanks

DS

• Moderators

I would remove the large connector and put, for a sort time power and ground by a spare battery, directly to the compressor connector. If the compressor start running you're already sure at that point. (always use test wiring's with a fuse between) Ask Loren for a electric diagram, if available, cause there are control box, relays, fuses and connectors in between the system.

Code 1400 is "control position not adjustable - vehicle too low or too high"

Code 1772 is "pressure transmitter signal lead"

These faults point to the level control adjust unit or the solenoid block or associated wiring.

The compressor is protected with a 40 amp fuse.

It is located at position 13 in the main fuse box (over vehicle electrical system battery) as quoted from the service manual.

This fuse feeds hot bus power to the compressor via a relay.

Ok confirmed compressor is stuffed.

Local part costs AUD $4,000 (approx US$4,200).

Can anyone suggest a place in the US that might ship one to me, I imagine even with shipping and tax it would be cheaper.

They also mentioned I need an updated hose as the pump has been revised, my car is a MY2003.

Thanks

DS

I sent the car to the local indy shop in the end and they have diagnosed the electrical motor in the pump as faulty. My understanding is that the rebuild kit is just the seals. So that is not going to help me I think.

Thanks

DS

Ok confirmed compressor is stuffed.

Local part costs AUD $4,000 (approx US$4,200).

Can anyone suggest a place in the US that might ship one to me, I imagine even with shipping and tax it would be cheaper.

They also mentioned I need an updated hose as the pump has been revised, my car is a MY2003.

Thanks

DS

The PET has the compressor for the 2003 model (part number 95535890101) priced at $1454 AUD incl GST for the Oz market.

There is a 95535890104 compressor that is about AUD $3500, but is for cars from 2008. This one probably needs the updated hose as well.

You may want to check with your dealer again.

The compressor (part number 95535890101) is USD $468 from www.Porscheoemparts.com

I have used these guys many times to ship parts to Oz and highly recommend them. :thumbup:

They use Fedex and are reliable.

Even with shipping, your still way ahead.

Edited by bigbuzuki

• 2 months later...

So I was told by my local dealer that the compressor on my MY03 CTT has failed as I was getting the "air suspension faulty workshop" yellow warning every now and then, as well as the same faulty warning in red but a lot less often (twice so far). It actually started two years ago and I keep ignoring it as it just goes away for a few weeks then comes back. Last month, I got the faulty warning again but in red so I thought it must have failed completely, I went to the dealer to diagnose again, same story, the compressor has failed. Funny things is, the code has not come back yet since the dealer cleared it.!!??

Question is, should I replace the compressor since Im now starting to get red warnings instead of yellow ones? If I keep ignoring it, would it cause damages to other parts of the suspension?

The replacement cost at the stealership is 4000AUD. Would the 468USD compressor mentioned in the above post work on my car?

there may be a way to charge the system from under the passenger seat. If you could adapt the tire inflator system. The key would be the connector which contains a ring magnet to activate a reed switch to allow air out, it might also allow air in

So I was told by my local dealer that the compressor on my MY03 CTT has failed as I was getting the "air suspension faulty workshop" yellow warning every now and then, as well as the same faulty warning in red but a lot less often (twice so far). It actually started two years ago and I keep ignoring it as it just goes away for a few weeks then comes back. Last month, I got the faulty warning again but in red so I thought it must have failed completely, I went to the dealer to diagnose again, same story, the compressor has failed. Funny things is, the code has not come back yet since the dealer cleared it.!!??

Question is, should I replace the compressor since Im now starting to get red warnings instead of yellow ones? If I keep ignoring it, would it cause damages to other parts of the suspension?

The replacement cost at the stealership is 4000AUD. Would the 468USD compressor mentioned in the above post work on my car?

So does the compressor actually work, can you raise and lower the suspension?

The fault message 'Air Suspension faulty workshop' can be caused by a low capacity main battery.

I had the same message a couple of years back. My main battery was 5 years old then and when I replaced it the fail message has not reoccured.

Edited by bigbuzuki

The fault message 'Air Suspension faulty workshop' can be caused by a low capacity main battery.

I had the same message a couple of years back. My main battery was 5 years old then and when I replaced it the fail message has not reoccured.

Just checked it, the compressor does work (both raising and lowering are fine).

I don't recall ever replacing the main battery since we bought the car back in 2004, how do you check if the battery is on its way out?

Thanks

I would try the rebuild kit before replacing the complete compressor. Are you sure there are no leaks in the system and the main battery is sound?

Do you (or anyone) have a link to this rebuild kit we are talking about? I will also find out (somehow) if the battery is sound, although I can't recall ever having problem with the battery.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys.. I have the same prob. air compressor has failed and valve distribution assembly needs replacing apparently.

I was thinking of buying a new Touareg compressor for $670 AUD part number.. 7LO 2617B or A

Does anyone know if this will fit a 2004 Cayenne Turbo. I'm assuming there's a good chance it will but maybe you guys know otherwise?

If there are any leads on the valve distribution assembly that'd be great too.

Cheers,

Tim

• Upvote 1

alekazam did you look at the link that I posted? Much cheaper than the full compressor and even though it points to the Toureg if you go through the ECS site and enter data for the Cayenne Turbo it comes up with the same kit. I ordered one for my '06 Turbo S and I can post the results when it gets here this Thursday (your Friday).

Hi Guys.. I have the same prob. air compressor has failed and valve distribution assembly needs replacing apparently.

What symptoms do you have to show the compressor has failed and valve block is faulty?

Edited by bigbuzuki
  • Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

Just checked it, the compressor does work (both raising and lowering are fine).

Thanks

An update, it has now been 8 months since first yellow "Air suspension fault - workshop" warning, I'm now getting the RED faulty warning and it almost always shows up whether it's a long trip or short trip. The height adjusting function is NOT WORKING, if I select the lever to either lower level or terrain level, it either shows the message "accumulator charging" or stuck at the "lower level (or terrain level) selected" screen.

I have ordered a pump repair kit from ecs, will it fix my problem or should I start looking to get a replacement compressor?

Anyone else had similar symptoms?

TIA