Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

convertible top plastic channel with clip

i need help!! i am in the process of replacing my convertible top and i need to replace the plastic channel on the second bow from the front which is the one right above the head if you were sitting in the car. The one i have is missing the clip and the channel (which is plastic) is broken! I cant slide the new top piping into the channel. does the dealership sell the plastic channel trim and clip seperatley?? anybody had this issue in the past? what did you do to fix the issue?

thanks

i need help!! i am in the process of replacing my convertible top and i need to replace the plastic channel on the second bow from the front which is the one right above the head if you were sitting in the car. The one i have is missing the clip and the channel (which is plastic) is broken! I cant slide the new top piping into the channel. does the dealership sell the plastic channel trim and clip seperatley?? anybody had this issue in the past? what did you do to fix the issue?

thanks,

Unless you can get your hands on a used/broken top of the same vintage (i.e., 986 1997 to 2004), your best bet is to try to salvage the parts you have, perhaps by using something like "marinetex" or the "dumdum" stuff they use in body shops to hold things together....

A two-part epoxy would definitely hold that plastic channel as it is not subject to lateral pulls, just straight up when at speed. Its job is to keep the convertible top canvas flat to the top of the convertible top frame and to keep that canvas from flapping around a little. The metal clip can be duplicated with any cold steel or similar material. The old ones usually rust and you can treat the new one with POR-15 or some similar rustproofing product.

Take a look at Mike Focke's Boxster Pages, here https://sites.google...cingthetop-adiy , and more specifically at paragraph number 7 in that DIY on replacing the canvas top for more information and photos on that particular little clip.

In a pinch, you could also consider using Velcro on the top surface of that second frame bow, and on the underside of the canvas/cloth strip/channel, but you have to consider to not restrict the movement when it's installed. In other words, try to mimic that particular aspect of the fastening "system".

AFAIK, Porsche does not sell that little plastic channel nor that little clip by itself. They do sell other small parts for the roof liner, etc., but those are usually parts that were expected to need replacement or for which they have stock for some unexplainable (here) reason. :)

Regards, Maurice.

• 3 months later...

i had the same problem. if yours was broken where mine was - the channel where the tops tab slides into, then you are wasting your time trying to fix it. it will flex and the tab will come out. But ine was broken and my old top had no issues opening and closing. I got my replacement from an entire asembly. see if any one has a good piece or just order one. From my experience instaling a new one this piece is critical.

• 8 months later...

If this piece isn't installed properly, breaks or is ill-repaired, it will let water into the floor, and kill the immobiliser unit. Ask me how I know.

If I had to repair one, I'd maybe start with some sort of metal or plastic J-Channel either for roof flashing interior trim. Maybe you could split some poly or clear tubing and add it UNDER the existing channel to support it and catch any leaks. Marine goo should be fine. I have some gutter sealant here that would work awesome.

Edited by R Clark Stewart