Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

The doors does not lock, but the car has locked trunk, engine, and gas

Dear Renntech,

(I originally put this topic in the wrong forum). Here is a revised version, updated to reflect new information.

I had just parked my 996MY99C2 and upon locking the car with the remote, I got a double horn beep back and checked to see if the doors indeed had locked. The doors were unlocked. I tried again with the same result, and then opted for locking with the key. The driver-side door locks but the passenger side remains unlocked with the double horn beep to follow. However, the trunk, engine compartment, and gas lid are locked (and does not disengage lock with key opening).

Once at home I inserted my laptop with Durametric cable and read the alarm fault memory.

Fault codes as follows:

34: interior sensor faulty (status present)

58: tank servo motor not energized (status present)

60: central locking limit position (lock not reached)

33: interior sensor faulty (status not present)

46: control locking synchronization (status present)

61: central locking limit position (status not present)

I can not lock the doors with the remote, but the key locks only the driver side. The hood, trunk, and gas lid lock latches are all engaged and does not disengage with the remote. The lights are all inoperable inside the car, the window motors does not operate with controls, but the windows (both sides) lower and close with the doors closing. The alarm system fuse B8 (15AMP) seems OK and there is no moisture in the car (under the driver side seat). The car starts and drives as usual. Overall it seems that the alarm is engaged partly and does not close fully (with remote), and conversely, does not disengage when using the remote.

Any help is good help!

Sincerely,

Hans

Dear Loren,

My Durametric does not allow clearing alarm codes. Moreover, the trunk is locked so I cannot reach the battery nor my wheel bolt key to remove front wheel and to access manual release inside the wheelliner. If I just could get the alarm to disengage (to open trunk) or engage fully (lock everything).

Best regards,

Hans

Dear Loren,

Nope, no water or moisture on the floor under the driver seat. I do think it is a simple issue because I have never had any issues of this sort before. Moroever, the car does respond with sounds as it is trying to enagage the lock function but cannot. Perhaps it is a mechanical fault in the passenger side lock, I dont know. I am hesitant to open the door liner as I cannot disconnect the battery, and thus the airbag is fed live. Nonetheless, the major issue is now to get some gas into the car so I can drive to a Porsche Service center.... I dont have the manual release for the gas latch lid in the passenger side door jamb for some reason.

Best regards,

Hans

Edited by Hanseman

• Admin

5 of your 6 faults say not present - so further diagnosis is needed with a Porsche tool.

Are you sure you don't have the ring pull cable for the emergency release in the passenger door hinge area?

You could break the latch on the gas lid - but they retail for about $55 plus install.

You can access the front trunk cable without taking off the right front tire. Turn the wheel all the way to the right and remove plastic pull rivets and one 10mm nut and you can reach in with your hand on the trunk/back side of the headlight tray and grab the wire and pull it. Might be a good time to route the manual pull to the tow hook in the front bumper.

Also, can you insert your key in the driver's door and hold the key all the way to the right or to the left for several seconds and operate the windows up and/or down?

Edited by kbrandsma
  • Upvote 1

Dear kbrandsma,

I'll try to access the manual trunk release tomorrow through the wheelhousing to disconnect the battery. My plan is to remove the seat to investigate the alarm to see if any contacts may have come loose as I indeed moved my seat to accomodate a large box in the back seat. Perhaps something came loose... It is worth a try..

As for the key trick (when inserted and remains turned for a few seconds), yes, it operates the windows up and down.

Car starts fine..just that no controls for inside lights, windows, mirrors, etc available and the trunk, engine and gas latches locked.

Best regards,

Hans

Car starts fine..just that no controls for inside lights, windows, mirrors, etc available and the trunk, engine and gas latches locked

Your alarm module sounds pretty angry.

But the statement I quoted above makes me start to wonder if this is just another faulty ignition switch...???

Dear Renntech forum,

Well, I did aim for the battery disconnect approach, and about 1h later after digging and finger feeling for the release cable, I opted to locate the wire by other means. It was not rerouted to the tow hole, but in fact readily accessible from underneath the car using an electricians fish line. Also, this would be an easier way to reroute the wire for others wanting it accessible through the tow hook hole.

Anyway, I managed this way to open the trunk and disconnect the battery. However 10-15min without electricity did not remedy the lock function situation. In addition, I was able to also locate the fuel latch release, although it had fallen down along the passenger side door jamb. I can now fill gas, which is a relief!

Nonetheless, the alarm seem activated as the signal is blinking from the stereo and the trunk/engine latches are locked. I do get a soft "thud" response from the doors, but neither side engages the locks. Manual locking only locks the driver side. Since I get the double horn beep, I assume that it is either: i) the passenger monitoring system, or ii) internal fault in the drive block control unit? Would the internal passenger monitoring system not have been disconnect as indicated by my error codes? Thus leaving the drive block control unit as the main suspect...?

I will remove the driver side seat tomorrow to see if something looks awry with the control unit.

Best regards and THANKS,

Hans

Edited by Hanseman