Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Battery tender CTEK 3300 - how to ?

Hroussard

So, I just bought a 2003 Porsche Turbo and decided to "invest" in the CTEK. with the cigarette lighter adapter. But, It is not charging. The CTEK power light goes on but I can not bring the mode up to the "CAR" icon ( IE the mode button does not move the mode to the "CAR" option.

Then I connected the CTEK to the battery terminals. I could charge ( leaving the battery in place and just clipping the CTECk alligator clips to each of the battery terminals). It worked fine but BOY that charger was getting HOT so I decided to unplug after 30 minutes or so. I was able to close the hood and it would have been fine if I felt comfortable with the charging process and the HEAT that this charger generated.

So here are the questions:

1/ Is it possible that my cigarette lighter goes "dead" when you switch off the ignition? I was under the impression that 2003 models have continuous power on that cigarette lighter socket.

2/ Is it OK to connect the alligator clips to the battery terminals to charge WITHOUT disconnecting the NEGATIVE terminal so I do not lose any computer settings or are we supposed to charge the battery and connect the CTEK indirectly ie to the + and - terminals in the engine compartment??

3/ Should the charger get really HOT??

• Moderators

1. 1. The Ctek 3300 does get warm when it is charging, but cools when it gets to full charge. All Ctek units have built in overheat protection that will reduce output or shut the unit off.
    2. The fact that the mode control button does not move the setting to the car icon is a problem. Do either of the 1/2 battery or full battery indicator led's come on? You are supposed to connect the unit to the car first (cigarette lighter or alligator clips) then plug the unit in and try to set it to the car mode. If you cannot, it may be an indication that either you have a bad battery ground, poor cable connections at the battery, or the battery itself is defective.
    3. Your cigarette lighter should work with this unit; I currently have four cars running on them that way at the moment.
    4. Are any of the Ctek's led's flashing?

Thanks JFP,

The Charger works fine ( standby -power on light is ON ) when I use the alligator clips, all the right idiot lights light up and it seems to be charging fine ( CTEK get hot too )- Good to hear there is an overheat protection built in). Yes, the battery indicator (half-full battery icon) is ON. No flashing lights.

However, when I try and use the cigarette lighter, I do get the Standby- Power on light but hitting the MODE button does not progress the mode through to the CAR icon. Seems to indicate that the CTEK is ON and working but that it does not "see" the battery hence it does not allow you to select the CAR icon stepping through the MODE settings. So I am thinking the cigarette lighter does not work ( either because it does not work / defective - or because the Porsche design boys decided the lighter does not work when the ignition is off and the key is out.) hence my question

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

It still works. Just a quick update. I am extremely surprised to see how often the charger's display changes from "battery full" to " battery charging" with the appropriate activity of the charger. I take it that there is a lot of power consumed while the car is just sitting there (hence the suggestion to lock you car as that turns off more electrical systems). No wonder Porsche is using these HUGE batteries to prevent them from draining too quickly.

• Moderators

It still works. Just a quick update. I am extremely surprised to see how often the charger's display changes from "battery full" to " battery charging" with the appropriate activity of the charger. I take it that there is a lot of power consumed while the car is just sitting there (hence the suggestion to lock you car as that turns off more electrical systems). No wonder Porsche is using these HUGE batteries to prevent them from draining too quickly.

What is happening when the display changes from “full charge” to partial charge is sometimes due to normal drain (40-60 mAh), or the Ctek unit is running a test on the battery to see how it is doing, when bringing it back to full charge. The unit may sit on full charge for several days, and then run one of these test cycles, just to see how everything is going. This diagnostic, along with the fact that all Ctek units employ de-sulfating modes in their normal charge profiles (sulfated cells are a major reason batteries die way to early), is why they help keep the battery in excellent condition for a long time. These units may cost a few bucks more than some other units on the market, but they really do one Hell of a job.

Edited by JFP in PA