Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Question for all of my friends out there. I have a 2000 996 C2 Cab. I do all of the maintenance (within reason) to my vehicle. I am in the process of a spark plug change. Currently I have 64000 miles. I removed the plugs quite easily, I must add after I removed the mufflers, I found three damaged coil pack tubes. Looks like the oil that seeped in due to bad spark plug tubes and upper and lower "O" rings has eaten the rubber tips. I order all new Spark Plug Tubes and Upper and Lower "O" Rings. I will be replacing them on Wednesday. My question to everyone is this. Is it OK to run the 3 new coil packs that I purchased from Pelican along side of the three old ones that were not damaged at all? I really don’t want to spend $130.00 on 3 additional ones unless I absolutely should. Also do the coil packs, that are still in good shape, have to go back over the same Spark Plug tube that they came out of? or can I put them anywhere?. I ask that because I am considering putting the 3 new ones on one side and the 3 old on the other. That way I know exactly what I have to change next month.

Last question...Porsche sells Spark Plug Tube grease in a little tube for $47.00. Do I need to lube the spark plug tubes to get them back in the cylinder walls? $47.00 for less than an ounce is pretty steep unless it is a must. If I can use something else in its place what would that be?

Thanks so much for all of your help. This forum has really given me back my confidence with my mechanical abilities. Hopefully I will be able to handle my clutch this coming spring.

Tim

Thanks Loren for the quick response. I only buy OEM parts so the part number on the 3 new Coil Packs are the same but have now been updated to a new part number by 1. So I assume they are the same resistance?

In terms of the high temp silicone grease, do I lightly coat the out side of the Spark Plug Tube with it? not sure exactly what to do there. Also what brand do you recommend for the HT Silicone Grease.

Thanks

Tim

• Admin

Check the resistance of each of the coil packs.

Resistance between terminal 1 and terminal 15 at 20°C: 0.3 - 0.7 ohms.

ANy coil pack that is drastically different should be replaced.

You coat the o-ring only. You are just looking to keep from a dry seal that might tear the o-ring.

I got out the multi-meter set it to resistance. I noticed on the Coil Pin 1 and 15 are marked. They are the outside 2 pins of the 3. I placed the multi-meter on the pins and it jumped to .03 to .05 then immediately went to 0.00. I cannot get a measurement to stay on any of the 6 I took off. I cant believe they are all bad. The car was running great before I took them off. Any ideas how to get a consistent reading? Positive and negative shouldn't matter right?

Thanks