Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Valvoline VR 1 oil on dedicated track car

Sorry to bother everyone with a topic that has been discussed "ad nauseaum". I have searched tin the files and still find myself confused about choice of oil for my application. I have a 1999 996 with catalytic converters removed and LN IMS conversion. The car is a dedicatred track car. I change the oil and filter every two events (approximately 200 miles of use). I have been using Mobil 1 15w50 (silver cap) on every change. I also add one bottle of ZDDP plus to boost the zinc and phosphorus higher than the 1200 ppm that Mobil oil has. This is turning to be somewhat expensive and I also have issues with availability of Mobil 1 15w50 in my area. Have been thinking of switching to Valvoline VR1 20w50. Valvoline has a higher zinc and phosphorus content but is not synthetic. Would it be ok to switch to the Valvoline and save $4 per quart since the intervals for change are 200 miles? I would continue using the ZDDP Plus zinc additive. I live in South Florida and the temps are obviously warm. Thanks for any advise I can get.

I run Amsoil 20/50 Dominator Racing. I change it and the spin on filter every 800-1000 track only miles. I do a sample test each time and all indications comes back fine. This is a FSI rebuilt unit. Take a look at the LN Engineering site and read up on his recommendations if you already haven't.

I was wondering if using a conventional oil with very agressive change intervals will not be detrimental as opposed to using the synthetics. Also, do you think that changing the oil as frequently as I do for track days is unnecessary? Just trying to make the sport more affordable but without hurting the service life of the engine.

I am using synthetic in my 986 race car and have stretched thus far to 2K miles between oil change with the samples coming back showing no change in wear and good viscosity. I plan to continue to stretch the changes until I see viscosity dropping off or see wear levels rise. I think I can get to 3K. I think testing, whether you are using conventional or synthetic, is the way to know. Test sample is 20 bucks or so. I was changing very frequently and my lab said "you know champ cars run 500 miles on the same oil. If they can do it, you probably can too. :) "

Just because Chump cars can run 18-24 hours on the same oil -- doesn't always indicate things are good :-(

I've seen a large attrition rate on the cars in this series -- many engine related (including ours).

My Porsche 924S has run 18 hours on VR-1 at TWS (105 day time temp),

but 12 hours into 14 at H2R (90-95deg) we lost the engine on fresh VR-1.

We had 4.5bar after that 18hour run. I didn't notice anything unusual before the #2 rod bearing failed.

This was a fresh engine that grenaded previously at H2R. Could be track

related -- who knows. We've run that track 6 times now -- losing engines twice.

Moving to Amsoil Dominator. Just not worth the $30 delta on a $4-5000 weekend. (and I'm cheap!)

We've also moved to adding cross drilled crank and crank scraper AND a 2nd oil cooler -- previously we had

accusump, one Turbo oil cooler, lyndsay baffle.

My understanding is the M96 suffers from #6 rod bearing -- similar in the way the 944's #2 rod bearing.

YMMV,

Mike

Edited by txhokie4life