Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Health reading of the catalytic converters in Durametric

Hi all,

Does anyone know if Durametric can indicate the health of the catalytic converters? If so, which value I should look at and how to interpret those? I'm sure the dealer can do that with their factor tester since a tech told me before.

TIA

• Admin

The health of catalytic converter would be measured just like the DME does. That is, you would compare the O2 sensor before the cat to the O2 sensor after the cat. The Porsche OBD II manuals have diagrams of the proper waveforms and readings. Any OBD II reader that can plot those readings is all you need and both Durametric and the Porsche PST2 or PIWIS testers can do that too.

• Upvote 1

The health of catalytic converter would be measured just like the DME does. That is, you would compare the O2 sensor before the cat to the O2 sensor after the cat. The Porsche OBD II manuals have diagrams of the proper waveforms and readings. Any OBD II reader that can plot those readings is all you need and both Durametric and the Porsche PST2 or PIWIS testers can do that too.

Hi Loren,

Thanks for the answer and yes, I understand you can do it manually like that. I was just wondering ifthe DME can run some tests and show a consolidated value that indicates efficiency directly.

I've never used the Porsche Testers but you should be able to force the readiness statues which will test the O2 sensors and cat convertors. The convertors are monitored by the secondary O2 sensors but they also need to reach a certain temp, be able to hold that temp for a certain amount of time and have a oxygen reserve.

Each vehicle has it's specific set of operating parameters and it takes some experience to interpret the results.

What issues are you have that has brought about the question?

I've never used the Porsche Testers but you should be able to force the readiness statues which will test the O2 sensors and cat convertors. The convertors are monitored by the secondary O2 sensors but they also need to reach a certain temp, be able to hold that temp for a certain amount of time and have a oxygen reserve.

Each vehicle has it's specific set of operating parameters and it takes some experience to interpret the results.

What issues are you have that has brought about the question?

Actually no current issues at all :) I was just trying to establish a baseline (if there's a way) to monitor how quickly/slowly the cats will deteriorate. There is a built in automatic (not triggerable by user) Cat efficiency test but it has a binary output (Passed/Failed). I was looking more for some continuous value that tells you how good/bad the cat is performing even before it triggers any CEL. Kind of like mode 6 data that tells you the acutal value before the value crosses the "failed" threshold.

Aside from monitoring the post cat O2 sensors (which the DME does for you), I don't think there is much you can do. I've read you can remove them and shake them, and if they have an internal breakage and rattle significantly then that is a sign they are on their last leg, if not already gone.

You can measure the difference between inlet and outlet temps. If the unit is working correctly you can expect to see approx a +50 C higher temp on the outlet. Keep in mind this spec is a rule of thumb and only to be taken after you have purged the convertor and gotten it up to temp.