Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Passenger Dashboard Airbag Removal for Dashboard Noise Diagnosis

Hi,

I'm about to commence searching for an irritating squeak coming from inside the dashboard (passenger side) which I hope doesn't become a search for the holy grail. To help pinpoint where the noise is originating from I'd like to remove the passenger airbag from the dashboard and drive the car while my son who has radar ears locks onto the cause.

Does anyone know if its safe to remove the passenger-side dashboard airbag from the car and drive around ? By safe I mean, the drivers and side airbags will still work as normal. I assume I'll get the airbag warning lamp and codes that can be cleared once the passenger airbag is re-installed (I have durametric) .

Car is MY2000 C2 Tiptronic RHD (Aussie)

Thanks in advance.

Alex.

Edited by amcleod1

As far as i can remember when there is a fault in the system and the light is on (ie.. removed pass airbag) the system is disabled and wont fire the remaining airbags. meaning that if you want passenger protection some might consider this "unsafe"

Side note - when flashing system is armed and ready to potentially fire an airbag.. also unsafe....

After the missing unit is re-installed you will be able to clear the codes and carry on normally as you mentioned.

Cheers

• Moderators

As far as i can remember when there is a fault in the system and the light is on (ie.. removed pass airbag) the system is disabled and wont fire the remaining airbags. meaning that if you want passenger protection some might consider this "unsafe"

Side note - when flashing system is armed and ready to potentially fire an airbag.. also unsafe....

After the missing unit is re-installed you will be able to clear the codes and carry on normally as you mentioned.

Cheers

That is not necessarily correct, the air bags can deploy when the light is on; the light is just an indication of a fault and does not necessarily disable the entire system.

The service manual has a procedure to follow whenever working on, or around, the air bags. It starts with disconnecting the battery for a period, and suggests wearing a grounding strap to prevent building up a static charge and setting the system off. You may want to do a search to get all the info on how to safely do this.

Be careful, at close range and airbag can and will seriously injure or even kill.

I know its hard to take me seriously with my popin fresh shades on in my profile pic :D

But I did mean that... i would not trust the air bag system to save me in a crash while i have one of the modules removed! And yes, just because one bag is removed there is still and element of danger in certain circumstances... I was being specific to crash protection.

JFP makes very valid safety points... I would add that when storing the removed air bag... do not keep it face down or under something... this way if it were to go off it wont launch itself or your workbench.. (they're pretty **** powerful)

Heres a screen cap of Porsches safety/removal instructions...

Cheers!

post-17148-0-55783700-1330553834_thumb.j

Thanks EleCTriCT and JFP for the responses.

A slightly different angle then - is it possible to fully disable the airbag system so I can drive the car without risk the bags blowing up. Such as pulling a fuse etc. I won't be driving the car far to find the culpit dashboard noise, so I'm happy not to have the airbags operational.

Also I assume that in the caution note to have airbag opening facing up - the opening they're talking about is the "opening face" that faces the passenger in the installed in the car ?

I've also read to disconnect the battery and wait at least 1 minute before removing the airbag. Was planning much longer but just want to confirm.

• Moderators

Thanks EleCTriCT and JFP for the responses.

A slightly different angle then - is it possible to fully disable the airbag system so I can drive the car without risk the bags blowing up. Such as pulling a fuse etc. I won't be driving the car far to find the culpit dashboard noise, so I'm happy not to have the airbags operational.

Also I assume that in the caution note to have airbag opening facing up - the opening they're talking about is the "opening face" that faces the passenger in the installed in the car ?

I've also read to disconnect the battery and wait at least 1 minute before removing the airbag. Was planning much longer but just want to confirm.

Just be aware that disabling the airbags and driving the car will most likely result in a MIL light and code, which requires either the PIWIS or Durametric software to clear..................

We like to let the car sit with the battery disconnected for 5 min. before going near the airbags.

Thanks again EleCTriCT and JFP. Will post update once completed.

Update: Disconnected battery for 20mins, removed the passenger airbag, re-connected battery, got airbag light as expected on engine start, no other issues noticed while driving. Was unable to find a fuse(s) dedicated to the airbag(s) system. Still searching for the noise in dashboard though.

Edited by amcleod1