Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New job in California so I'm moving from Seattle. Part of my hiring package includes the move, so I can't pick the shipper for the 911 as they have their own people. I believe its going to be loaded on an open car transport truck. I've heard horror stories about what happens to sports cars when you turn them over to other people. I would drive it down if I had the time but I don't.

Anything I should do to make sure the car gets down ok? All they've told me is to keep the fuel less than 1/4. I'm sure I'm just worried, but it never hurts right?

Thanks for the help guys.

I shipped my 67 MGB from Virginia to Hawaii via a company that my company hired for the relo. Everything was fine. You'll be put in contact with the shipper. Maybe you can arrange for it to be in covered shipping if you pay the difference, etc. When I relo'd, I had a budget. Didn't matter if I blew it all on moving the car or my clothes, so I could have chosen certain shipping methods.

HTH

PS-Where in Cali?

I had a similar experience with a corporate relocation. I (stupidly) agreed to go with the company that the relocation company recommended, although I did pay for the upgrade to a covered trailer. The company that was used was called Dependable Auto Shippers. What I found out after the fact was that the car was moved to multiple trailers throughout the process. I don't like that. Additionally, in one of the trailers my car was underneath a car that leaked. It dripped oil all over my back window and down my rear fender. The shipper tried to clean it up, and they really scratched the paint. I was able to have it detailed and buffed out, but it was a real pain in the ***. I don't feel like they took great care of my vehicle.

If I were to go through a relocation again, I would either drive my car or I would pay for a private shipper that specializes in high-end vehicles.

I hope your have a better experience with your move.

Edited by Dennis C
  • Upvote 1

I have had several cars shipped long distance and all have arrived filthy and taken a lot of cleaning to get back to my standards. Next time I am fitting a cover, and checking about transfers. Also, why not tape a note to the window that states how important the car is to you (pride and joy, only child, etc) and asking for it to be treated with kid gloves? People generally take note of that.

Lastly, put an old towel on the floor mats and duct tape one or two to the seats as a make shift seat cover, or buy some cheap donald duck ones - it will keep them clean!!!!!!!!!! Truckies are not noted for clean pants or boots.

Edited by David Clarke

I just drove the Pleasanton to Vancouver, BC in September. We had two drivers and did it in 14 hours in the 996 taking the I5 most of hte way. From Seattle, I'm sure you can do it in around 11 hours. A long day for sure, but doable. It is a nice drive, and fairly easy going and you should be able to maintain decent speeds. The PCH on the other hand through Oregon and NorCal will take days.... something to do when you can take the time.

I have family in Pleasanton and go there often, you will certainly enjoy that area!

Edited by dmfconsult