Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

EVO MS Air flow Kit

New to this forum, and was doing a search on the EVO system. turns out, there appears to have been problems with the 986 CEL after installation. Anyone have this mod installed, and have any EVO issues, or fixes ???. A previous thread on the 996 was not conclusive. As you might know, I find out AFTER I purchased and installed the kit :( only have about 50 mi.. so far no problem.. Thanks..

• Admin

I for one never got this intake to work without throwing a CEL and then running crappy. After 3 months of emails, phone calls, trial and error - still no luck. I ended up returning it for a refund (which I never got - which is another story). I settled for removing the internal baffles in the stock air cleaner box and using a race proven BMC air filter. That was my experience... :(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
New to this forum,  and was doing a search on the EVO system. turns out, there appears to have been problems with the 986  CEL after installation. Anyone have this mod installed, and have any EVO issues, or fixes ???.  A previous thread on the 996 was not conclusive.  As you might know, I find out AFTER I purchased and installed the kit :(  only have about 50 mi.. so far no problem.. Thanks..

if you are talking of the evo v-flow then i haven't had any problems.... yet. i actually expect the cone filter to foul up the MAF like it did with the evo intake i had on my boxster. it was a very easy fix though. just clean it with electrical contact cleaner, the type that doesn't leave residue. the intake is still worth it to me :clapping:

I for one never got this intake to work without throwing a CEL and then running crappy. After 3 months of emails, phone calls, trial and error - still no luck. I ended up returning it for a refund (which I never got - which is another story). I settled for removing the internal baffles in the stock air cleaner box and using a race proven BMC air filter. That was my experience... :(

Loren...

How big of a deal is it to the internal baffles in the stock air cleaner box. Honestly, I've never taken notice of them before.

• Admin

Well the Fabspeed kit has a very nice plug for the hole that is left when you remove the baffle -- I just can't see spending $200 for it. If you remove the screens and the baffle you will get a much better induction sound and I think faster revs. Just removing the screens and a free flowing air cleaner like a BMC or K&N will give you some noticeable improvement also (IMHO).

I tried a modification with an old airbox muffler and just cut it way down to open up that part of airbox, but left the hole open.. Boy that gave a good sound but it was getting too much air then. I suppose it is because it was entering after the MAF? Anyhow it threw a CEL. I put back in the muffler and reset computer and it was fine. I am now trying the same cut out piece but used some epoxy to put a plastic plate over hole to stop the air but keep the sound. I also took out the first screen like Loren and also using a BMC air filter. The stock boot looks much stronger than the Fabspeed soft silicone. With the BMC filter and screen out it already performs a little better. I do not think they can claim all that HP from an air kit. ( I would be able to tell I live t 7800 feet!) Maybe a little better throttle response and some growl that is all I would expect. Don't think these kits they offer are worth the money. (IMHO) If my mod works it was done for under $50!