Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tyre pressure monitor dash light stays on

Hi,

The tyre pressure monitoring yellow light stays on in the dash, and when you start up it says it's in learning mode. I've tried turning the TPM on and off and then drove for a few days but the light still stays on.

I have read some threads about this, but a bit confused on how I should tackle troubleshooting this. Could someone kindly give me some things to check?

Thanks

Just started ? changed wheels or tires recently ? model/ year ?

Thats a good question - i've not had the car long so don't know if it was happening before that. The previous owner had turned off TPM so i'm trying to find out whats wrong with it.

If nothing has been altered you'll need to put the vehicle on Porsche scan tool but most common cause is failed batteries in the pressure units.

It had a service 2011 and it says the tyre pressure monitor was checked then. I could take it back, but is there a way I can check the batteries myself? These are the type of wheels on the car (20")

porsche-cayenne-2004-chrystal-silver-metallic-estate-3-2-v6-tiptronic-sat-nav-20-techno-wheels-8c62b47a0b70a55170390998707d8b05-m2.jpg

you did not give MY but looking at the picture its an 05 + S. Assuming its 05, so the batteries could be 04, that would be my first guess but its not a job I would tackle since the tyre has to come off. If you have any warranty I would try the dealer, these batteries should last 5 - 12 years.

• Moderators

I have my doubts whether the wheel on the pic. it looks like the valve does not appear as a TPM valve. Maybe i have not seen but there is no sensor in the wheel to me.

• Moderators

RFM is correct, that wheel does not look like it has a TPM sensor in it (the tire valve stem is black rubber instead of threaded metal). Any dealer, or good indy, will have a TPM sensor testing tool and be able to confirm that.

Schrader_Fixed_TPMS_Vavle_Stem.jpg

Be willing to bet the previous owner tried to disable the TPMS when they put those wheels on the vehicle......

Edited by JFP in PA

Actually, that isn't a picture of a wheel on my car - I didn't have one to hand so googled one to show the type of wheel. I do recall that my wheels have a grey/aluminium type valve cover on them. I'll try and take some pictures.

On another note, would something like a durametric be able to help me identify what part of the TPMS is not working?

If it was the wrong sensor the error is much worse. My winter wheels are from 955 and the frequency is wrong, the system does not even see them and complains all the time. The fact that yours are "learning" implies the system at least patially senses the wheels. Maybe until all 4 are "learnd" then it will continue to show this error.

So, could be one of the sensors is bad and its only seeing 3 wheels. Not sure if a Durametric read would see that but there is a good chance that PIWIS will to tell you which one (or more) are bad.

Cheapest option is JFP's , go to a tire shop and see if they can test them

Edited by mudman2
  • Upvote 1

Actually, that isn't a picture of a wheel on my car - I didn't have one to hand so googled one to show the type of wheel. I do recall that my wheels have a grey/aluminium type valve cover on them. I'll try and take some pictures.

On another note, would something like a durametric be able to help me identify what part of the TPMS is not working?

This is a pic of my wheel and the valve - does that look like it has sensors?

ebac1630.jpg

Thanks mudman - i'll try some tyre shops

• Moderators

Yes, that looks like a sensor, as you can clearly see the locking/sealing nut on the stem. Just about every type of shop has TPM system tools these days, particularly tire shops. Many will test for little or even no charge as replacing just one of the sensors is going to generate a lot of revenue for them......

• 3 years later...

I recently purchased a 2006 Cayenne turbo S and the TPM system wasn't working. So I purchased a new set of wheel sensors on eBay and took the winter wheels to my local garage for them to for the new sensors. They fitted the sensors and I picked up the wheels around 6 hours later.

I fitted the wheels on to the Cayenne the next day, but since then the monitoring system is still not recognising the wheels. Is it because the wheels weren't fitted on to the car immediately the sensors were installed? Any suggestions to get then working?

• Moderators

I recently purchased a 2006 Cayenne turbo S and the TPM system wasn't working. So I purchased a new set of wheel sensors on eBay and took the winter wheels to my local garage for them to for the new sensors. They fitted the sensors and I picked up the wheels around 6 hours later.

I fitted the wheels on to the Cayenne the next day, but since then the monitoring system is still not recognising the wheels. Is it because the wheels weren't fitted on to the car immediately the sensors were installed? Any suggestions to get then working?

What frequency are the sensors you purchased operating on?  Have you put the system into "learning mode"?

How to do that please?

I went through the menus and selected winter tyres and their correct size. The TPM was turned on and every so often the warning tone comes on indication the TPM is not active.

Edited by angusc

• Moderators

How to do that please?

I went through the menus and selected winter tyres and their correct size. The TPM was turned on and every so often the warning tone comes on indication the TPM is not active.

The proceedure should be in your owner's manual, but it sounds like you have already done that.  At this juncture, I think you need to have someone look at and test your system; either the new sensors are not working, or something else is wrong.

• Moderators

Ok, manual is in German! I believe some route garages might have a tool to measure the frequency out put from the sensors while inside the wheels......is that correct?

Most shops have tools to check each sensor to make sure they are working.  Suggest you look for an online version of your manual section in english to check you have correctly set the car's system before going further.