Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Water near the battery compartment?

So, after a few days heavy rain (typical English summer), I started my 996 today. Straight away, something felt wrong - the engine was running rough, I could feel the rear end twitching slightly as it sat with the handbrake on.

I set off but the engine began to feel and sound rougher until the Check Engine light came on about 1/2 mile down the road.

I came home and disconnected the battery to clear the light. I noticed that the compartments on both sides of the battery were about 11/2 inches deep in water! I fished around and found the drains, which were blocked with all kinds of crud.

Water drained, battery reconnected, I restarted the engine. It ran rough for maybe two minutes but has since been fine. I've done a 30 mile trip this afternoon - the engine's run sweet and the CEL has not reappeared.

So - water in those compartments - what's there that may have caused this, or spooky coincidence?

While you are at it (cleaning the drains), make sure that the drain for your A/C is not clogged either. That will get you water in the passenger compartment, to the right side of where the console meets the front firewall by your feet.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks for all your replies. I did clear the drains, as I said.

Re water under the seat (I don't have any) - is that how you get it, ie flooded cowl drains?

I'd still like to confirm if my flooded drains would have actually caused the CEL light and lumpy running? Sensitive wiring in those compartments, etc?

Edited by le bouch

It's hard to say what caused the running problems. It's not recommended to keep disconnecting the battery for any reason but instead have the fault codes read out so we then know what system was faulting.

You don't say what year your 996 is. Early cars 99-01? have an opening? on the bottom of the brake booster that can get covered with water if the cowl drains are clogged. Water can then pool in the booster. If that happens water can be sucked into the engine through the vacuum line causing all kinds of mischief.

A Rennlister had his engine hydro lock and destroy itself from this a couple of years ago.

http://forums.rennli...ing-to-you.html

Edited by fpb111

You're quite right - apologies, I'll fix that :-)

Just started to read that thread. It's killing me. I haven't read to the end but it sounds spookily accurate so far except my car is now running fine... So far...

Need to know what that brake booster looks like and if I've got one!

Here is a diagram of what the brake booster looks like on your car...It's part #4 and looks like a big black flattened metal drum:

post-6627-0-03561600-1341951082_thumb.gi

On your UK car, it's on the right side, in the front trunk compartment, sort of in line with where your brake pedal is, ahead of part #11, which is a heavy aluminum bracket.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks so much.

From the rennlist thread I note that there's a TSB for the brake booster. I'll have to look at that.

When I cleared the drains I accidentally pushed the LH (UK passenger) rubber drain through the hole in the bottom of the compartment - I can see it but can't think of a way to grab it and pull it back up through. Where would water go, if it just goes through the hole and not down the rubber drain?

On the passenger's foot.

Gently pull it back up with needle nose pliers. Then re-seat it in the hole. There is a thin groove on the rubber drain flange that the metal fits into.

Having difficulty pulling it up from the top ( have tried all manner of long nosed pliers, forceps, etc) - is there access to the rubber drain from underneath the car?

Having difficulty pulling it up from the top ( have tried all manner of long nosed pliers, forceps, etc) - is there access to the rubber drain from underneath the car?

Ok.... Have now managed to get the rubber grommet / end piece back up and out, but in the process it's come off the actual drain tube. Grrrr!

Looking at the diagram the other end of the tube seems to emerge in the LH wheel arch. Is that the only access? Am I best off pulling the pipe out from that end and starting again?

• 3 years later...

Ok.... Have now managed to get the rubber grommet / end piece back up and out, but in the process it's come off the actual drain tube. Grrrr!

Looking at the diagram the other end of the tube seems to emerge in the LH wheel arch. Is that the only access? Am I best off pulling the pipe out from that end and starting again?

Thread resurrection- sorry!

Exact same problem as 'le bouch' above.  Grommet fell through, then disconnected from the drain hose while I was trying to pull it back out.  UK car, drain to the right of the battery as you face it.  Still haven't managed to pull the rubber bit back out.  Even if I can pull it out, how am I supposed to connect it back to the drain tube/pipe?!

• 2 weeks later...

On the later cars the drains are not connected to a hose they just end above the next layer of metal.  I have read that there is a TSB that instructs to push the early drain grommets through the hole and or pull the hose up??  Try pouring some water into the hole and see if it gets into the car or drains out behind the front wheel.  There is a plastic drain opening there that might drain everything from the cowl drains.  I don't know if the hose is connected to that plastic or ends just above it or...