Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Daily Driver: '84 911 vs. '99 996

I'm in the market for a new DD as I have grown tired of my E36M3. I live in Michigan.

I will be putting around 15k miles/year on the car and it will see snow and temperatures below zero degrees F. My garage is underground and stays between 50-70 degrees F throughout the year. I plan on picking up a set of winter or all season tires.

I am aware of the IMS failure and debating an LS1 swap before an IMS failure and selling the good 3.4, which should total around $3k after selling the 3.4. Sorry to the purists, but it would be reliable and have turbo power in an inconspicuous shell.

The '84 doesn't have an LSD (which is a major concern); has cat pipe deleted; some 964 turbo wheels; sunroof car; the owner has owned the car for 10+ years and is selling for a 997; no rust; super clean; 120k miles; only thing that doesn't work is a/c.

There are a few 996's that I'm looking at. All are basically stock with 90-140k miles. I have seen some C4's, which I'm not opposed to, but I think that a C2 is a better route for fuel mileage and lack of driveline power loss. That is, unless the C4 AWD can be pulled and put back in. Which would be a nice option for summer/winter driving.

As far as winter driving, I drove my Viper ACR with worn PS2's through 1/2 of a winter and on a road trip I was caught in a blizzard at the Vail Pass in it; drove Murci in the snow on many occasions; and last winter kicked off with a non-LSD BMW 2002; followed with an E36M3 on non-aggressive summer tires. So I'm well versed in low, performance cars in snow.

With that info, please give me your input on which 911 I should go with and why.

Thanks,

Nick

I have an SC and a 996, so that should be close enough. As a DD, the answer is pretty simple. Get a 996. Out-freaking-standing car. It is not an air cooled Porsche but in every single measurable it is a better car.

I drove my 79 SC as a daily driver 365 days a year and loved every trip. Put in the Carrera chain tensioners for peace of mind. sold the car at 325k. I now drive my 996 C4S every day and love it. Great car, easier to drive and much more forgiving than the SC, with great a/c, and tons of torque on the low end. Yes, I put the LN Engineering IMS fix for piece of mind. The '84 Carrera is a great car, but for a daily the 996 is easier.

I had a 996 brand new in 1999. I sold it and went a few years without a Porsche than bought a really showroom mint '79 SC with 68K miles, loved the car but the A/C was terrible. In Arizona it couuld not keep the car cold. I sold it and made a few bucks and went right back to another '99 996. I love the car and it is my DD. Great choice!

I have a 2000 996 Carrera tipronic S and a 1997 986 Boxter 5speed manual, they are both great cars. I use my 986 Monday thru Thursday and use my 996 Friday thru Sunday. I have to admit the manual is easier on the gas, however everyone wants to race me when I am I-5(highway). On Friday going to work no one wants to play hhhmmmm I wonder why LOL. I know my comment is off subject, however get the 996 as a daily driver. The car is fun and has lots of torgue, plus there is a lot of upgrades and mods you can do that is not that expensive to add a little more horsepower. I would not receommend the the 986 unless you have another car to drive during the winter. Being that were you live at gets below zero, this will tear or crack the convertible top. If you have any more questions please drop me a line and would be more then happy to chat or give you more feedback if you like. Other then that have a good day and drive safe no matter what you choose.