Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi All, Looking for Input on installing wider tires on my 99 C2 , Have 18" x 10" rims ( measured the width with the tire on and it was approx 11", outside bead to outside bead) that currently have 265 35 18's at the rears and front are 225 40 18's . Fronts I am ok with but would like to add some width to rears without changing rims. Was hoping to go from the 265 to 295 or 305. Any suggestions? Thanks Dean

• Admin

My car is a 1999 C2 also.

I am currently running 295/30 x 18 rears on stock 10" wheels. In the front I have the 8" GT3 wheels and run 235/40 x 18. No problems.

If you run anything wider on the front you will likely have rubbing at lock to lock turns. Because of differences in tires some maybe better than others.

• Upvote 1

Remember when you are dealing with tires that not only are you dealing with the size (18"), width of the wheel (10"), but also the width to sidewall ratio 265/35. A wider tire with less sidewall 295/30, although looking "cooler" because of the width, could give you a bone jarring ride and make your wheels more suspectible to curb rash, breakage, heat and all types of other stresses, including nasty unpredictable stresses on your suspension components. Another 10-15 mm may not seem like much, but it could make a huge difference all the way around with a wider tire and reduced sidewall height. IMHO a lot would depend on your driving (DD, weekender, track) and area where you live (manholes, potholes and other tire destroyers). My 99 daily driver is very happy with 225/40/18" front and 265/35/18" rear setup. I would rather be more "GO" than "SHOW" myself...but that's just me. And, I don't want to argue that a wider tire will give you more go...I've yet to ever break them loose on a dry takeoff or failed to take a curve at more than twice the recommended speed. Seems like quite a gamble at $300+ per tire to experiment, unless you've got some money to burn and can live with the expense of changing them out if they don't work out. Hopefully other posters will weigh in.........

• Upvote 1