Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I found a thread on the installation of film type bras, but the last post was April 2010. My question is after looking into different types of front end protection whether anyone has used some of the newer spray on clear bras? The Chip Magic, Armor Coat, some of these are proprietary and not available to me locally. Any thoughts on the good, bad and ugly would be appreciated...

Not sure about the spray on type but the adhesive type (3M being most common) is almost invisible when done by a professional and, can be removed if you choose to do so. I have the adhesive type on my 08C2S and it really saves the day. However I did not put the film on the hood as I don't like the "line". FWIW...

Not sure about the spray on type but the adhesive type (3M being most common) is almost invisible when done by a professional and, can be removed if you choose to do so. I have the adhesive type on my 08C2S and it really saves the day. However I did not put the film on the hood as I don't like the "line". FWIW...

you say it is almost invisible but you don't like the line? To me all these protective coatings create additional orange peel effect and detract from the naked paint finish.

Just to follow up on my original post. I chose Xpel Ultimate protection film. The Ultimate film is self-healing, virtually no orange peel. Turned out great. I took my car to the San Antonio Corporate offices of Xpel where they train installers for their film from all over the world. So the installers were also instructors for installing their film. Also they do this in a clean room so that no dirt or dust gets under the film during installation. I had the headlights, side view mirrors and the front bumper, plus 24" up on the hood and fenders. They call that their bikini cut. I polished the headlight lens before going in, then with the film the lens look like brand new. Pricey, but I think worth it...

They also sell kits for any car. The kits don't wrap around the edge of the hood or into the headlight bucket. You can buy just the roll stock and cut to fit if that's your choice. For headlights and the hood I think it would be fairly easy to do your own install, but the compound curves of the bumper might be another thing for the DIY'er.

I have the entire front bumper cover, front fenders, entilre hood, mirrors and rear flares, rocker panels and air inlets done with "clear bra" film on my 2007 TT. It was done at the factory when the car was ordered.

The car is black and yes it looks pretty bad (orange peel and fine scratches) after 5 years on the car. I'm going to get it re done though as it has saved my paint. And a repaint would be a lot more expensive..

Edited by phillipj

I have the entire front bumper cover, front fenders, entilre hood, mirrors and rear flares, rocker panels and air inlets done with "clear bra" film on my 2007 TT. It was done at the factory when the car was ordered.

The car is black and yes it looks pretty bad (orange peel and fine scratches) after 5 years on the car. I'm going to get it re done though as it has saved my paint. And a repaint would be a lot more expensive..

Phillipj, are you saying that the orange peel is the result of aging, and did not come that way when new? I agree, it's cheaper than paint, plus the car's paint is only original once...

Creekman,

It's a result of aging.. I'm sure it looked pretty flawless when new. It's very difficult not to get fine scratches and oher flaws in the material over time.. I have tried to polish them out but it doesn't react like paint. But one thing I know is that the paint is perfect underneath!