Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

04 CS-- What the heck is going on? Bad Battery

sorry, tried to be brief...

ok so this is where I am. O4CS 97k Freshly naked then WHAMMO Drive shaft bearing fails. So while I've been deciding how to proceed it's been sitting under covered parking patiently waiting. My Vertex shaft will be here today and I hope to get it installed over the weekend, but here's where it get weird for me.

So the other day I went to start the car just to let it warm up and relax since it's been sitting about a month. The car acted like it was dead, but after turning the ignition left/right then reinserting the key the light came on and the car started normally but with a PSM Failure warning. I turned the car off and figured I'd address it when I redid the drive shaft.

so with the shaft arriving today I went again last night to start the car up, check the tires and what not as I'll be driving it a few blocks to my mech. buddy with the lift. again the car acted completely dead until i did the left right reinsert thing with the key. i proceeded to start the car and it sounded "different" and then I was presented with PSM warning and a brand new ABS FAILURE WORKSHOP. error. I started the car 3 or four times after that and never heard the odd startup. however the electrical system is acting strange like it did the last time i had a battery issue. the ABS warning scared the crap out of me until i started reading about potential causes.

Could the bad/low battery ) mine has 2 batteries) really cause that much havoc in systems? Even though car started and drove normally? brakes were good and everything SEEMED normal except for the warnings. I am buying a new battery even though mine is not that old but it was DEF. dead and didn't seem interested in taking a charge from my trickle charger. If it turns out to be bad/low battery causing havoc, should the various systems reset after it gets good juice?

ideas? thanks very much in advance!

John

I forgot to mention... the Battery that's under the seat was replaced last year and the one in the boot tested good. However the car is doing the same kinds of things it did prior to the replacement last year. weird lights. not locking properly. keyless entry doesn't work, lights are dim and then click off, just general weirdness is the best way to describe it. ( last night the right rear turn signal stayed on and then faded out after I locked the car ) weird

Edited by jplumlee

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

I really need some direction. I replaced the battery and the car is starting beautifully. However, the PSM and ABS failure lights are staying on. Is there any way to reset these and see if they reappear? i'm miles and miles from a dealer.

• Admin

Sounds like a battery and/or grounding issue to me.

Have the battery (or batteries) load tested and specific gravity tested - if either or both are weak replace them. A bad battery is the number 1 cause of strange electrical problems in Cayennes.

Also, make sure the chassis grounds are clean and tight.

• Admin

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

I really need some direction. I replaced the battery and the car is starting beautifully. However, the PSM and ABS failure lights are staying on. Is there any way to reset these and see if they reappear? i'm miles and miles from a dealer.

Have you driven the car some?

After replacing the battery some of the systems may need to see normal operation before working properly. ABS/PSM lights are common on Carrera and Boxster after changing the battery (or even CA smog checks) - but they go away in a few miles.

ok guys,,, all is well. drove slowly out to my buddies with the lift and about 4 blocks from my house all those PSM/ABS warnings cleared on their own. got the drive shaft replaced with my vertex shaft and all is right in the world. thanks for all the help and sugestions.

Edited by jplumlee

I would highly recommend the Battery Tender Junior or even Porsche's Battery Maintainer. I have both and even if I'm only planning on leaving the Cayenne set for a couple of days I still leave it plugged in. It will increase the life of your Battery and will lessen the chances of faults caused by low voltage on startup after sitting for a while.