Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My 04 cayenne turbo has about 62,000 miles on it and over the past couple of weeks it has started to develop a strange rattling underneath the car on the drivers side. It seems to mainly happen under moderate load when the car first starts up but as it warms up, it seems to go away as I can hit WOT later on and it is not there. When it happens I can feel it on my feet as if it is right underneath the driver floorboard. I have looked underneath the car and I pushed things around and nothing seemed obviously loose. I do have secondary cat delete pipes but the mounts are solid and not moving. I would be curious if anyone has experienced anything similar or have ideas about what this could be. It sounds like a metal on metal sound. I also looked in the wheel well and nothing unusual that I can see.

ekstroemtj nailed it: it's your drive-shaft. Your description is the exact same for my vehicle (2004 Cayenne S) as the shaft slowly failed. The threads noted above will sort you out. Good luck. In my case I was under CPO so the dealer took care of the replacement.

Edited by odix

I was thinking about that also but I check the carrier for it and moved it around and everything seemed pretty solid. The reason it don't think it is the driveshaft is why would it go away when the car warms up and I can hit wot and it does not happen which is when I would think the driveshaft is under the most stress.