Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant Smell

dlipka

Hi - 996 TT

Once the car is warmed up, there is a very slight coolant smell. (very slight) - when I shut it down, the coolant smell becomes a little stronger and is more pronounced around the engine.

The car does not appear to use any coolant and there are no leaks on the ground. Over the last 12 months I have replaced all radiators, a number of hoses and the coolant pressure cap. There are no visible leaks when I look underneath (with the covers removed) and I have the system under pressure (I use a modified pressure cap and pump the system to 15psi - it holds pressure).

Following other posts I can't see any leaks around the engine.

Suggestions?

Is a coolant smell normal?

Thanks,

Derek

I did not had a chance to work on too many TT's but did a lot of work on mine including engine removal and coolant pipes welding.

For a long time I had coolant smell and did not see any drop on the floor but a very small quantity was lost... I also did a pressure check and it was almost completely tight but a very small lost of pressure ( 1 pound for 20 minutes) that I attribute to the tool I was using. One day, before storage for winter, decided to do a very deep inspection and found a very small leak (white powder, dry coolant) after removing the air box and the intake. It was one of the coolant pipes on the water pump housing. Very hard to see, because of limited space and the pipe did not pop out because also of limited space.... And the fluid was trapped on top of the engine and eventually evaporate.

Believe it or not even after all this work I still got, sometimes, coolant smell. I feel paranoid about it the first time and did some other inspections but did not found anything. I guess we can consider this being normal on TT's. I also replace the expansion tank cap with the latest model, was 99610644701 and now 99610644704 but the smell is still there....

post-29683-0-96219900-1358077486_thumb.j

post-29683-0-72419700-1358077498_thumb.j

Edited by jpflip

• Moderators

If memory serves, there was an article in Excellence about the metal tube inserts that the hoses attach to coming loose on the Turbo and GT cars (they are apparently glued in and the glue sometimes fails). The “fix” is to get the inserts welded into place by a competent welding shop:

263158_1870970857040_1324180320_31595629_8136370_n.jpg

You could be having similar issues.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys - I will have a look around the top of the engine on the weekend. I just opened the cap (last drove the car 24 hours ago) and there was some residual pressure... Not sure if this is signifiicant...

I have previously noticed some white powder around the 'tube' 996 106 069 70 (Under car / LHS / Rear of transmission tunnel) - does anyone know whether this part also has the glued in spigot inserts?

• 4 weeks later...