Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

cel 1128 on 2000 Boxster

I had my check engine light come on a couple weeks ago shortly after driving through a large puddle of water, I had it checked the only code was 1128, which deals with one of the o2 sensors. It went off by on it's own but came on yesterday after I went through the touchless car wash. Could this be moisture related? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Admin

P1128 - Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 2 (Cylinders 1 . 3) - Rich Threshold

This means that the oxygen sensor on that bank of the engine has sensed that the mixture is so lean that is can not correct for it (rich threshold reached).

Common causes are:

- Intake air system leaking

- Fuel pressure too low

- Volume supply of fuel pump too low

- Fuel injectors fouled

I would start looking for loose or damaged hoses or other intake leaks.

I went through the touchless car wash.

I was of the impression that automatic car washes were taboo for Boxsters, due to the water pressure which tends to find openings (particularly around the top) that weren't intended for moisture.

Are they in fact safe?

Edited by doughep

My car has never leaked in a car wash.

I choose a carwash wand or garden hose and a sheepskin mitt over touchless, but this is due to touchless not really cleaning as opposed to a problem with leaks.

Water in the air intake should really only be a issue if the engine is running.

• 5 years later...

I've had the same problem for awhile, codes P1128 and P1130, and could never find what caused the codes to keep coming up. Then this weekend I changed the spark plug tubes, O rings and spark plugs. Around Tuesday or Wednesday of this week after about 100 miles of driving, the CEL went out. Any ideas what the repairs I did would have done to effect the problem causing the fault codes to go away?