Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Questions before buying a 997.1 C2S

Hello all:

A good friend is thinking about moving from the 930 series to a 997S; 07 model, 6 spd. with about 50K. Nice condition, 2 owners, no over revs on the PPI or track use.What did show up was some dampness around the IMS flange--no drips, just a bit of seepage. No reports of a cam deviation test.Questions:Anything to look for on this particular model?Weak points?Insist on a cam deviation test?Are these models affect less by IMS failures than the 987 platform?This car would see extensive DE use if purchased.Thanks for any help.

It may just be the seals on the IMS flange, although an 07 has the updated flange. It could also be the RMS leaking, hard to say without taking off the transmission.

One challenge is that if it is the IMS bearing starting to go, on an 07 it has the larger IMS bearing that cannot be retrofitted without splitting the cases.

• Moderators

In general, the 997's were pretty good cars. Once point to consider is that all the 997's carry the OEM "final solution" IMS bearing that cannot be changed out without totally disassembling the engine, making an upgrade a veryexpensive proposition. And while this design bearing has had the fewest reported IMS bearing failures, the do still fail.

A cam deviation values test should be standard on any full blown PPI; I am surprised it was not done with yours as it only requires a few key strokes to obtain while connected to the computer. The PPI should have also included anexamination of the oil filter for any collected debris as well.

If you do purchase the car, the leaking IMS cover (or RMS) will need to be addressed before it becomes serious enough to lead to clutch damage. This cost obviously needs to be factored into the purchase price. Whilethat is being done, they can remove the rear seal on the OEM IMS bearing to allow engine oil to splash lubricate it, check the flywheel for twist and replace the clutch if required.

• Moderators

I would go back to whoever did the PPI and ask to have it run, at worst they should only charge a couple of bucks as it takes about 5 min. to run; they might even be embarassed into not charging for something they should have done in the first place. I would also have the oil filter pulled and cut open as well.

When you get the point of running a PPI, the buyer is obviously serious about the car, getting all the information is really your last chance to make and informed decision before a lot of money changes hands and there is no going back..........

• 2 weeks later...

Great car.

- Check the records and see when clutch was done. My '06 needed a new clutch (flywheel was fine) at 55k kms, but I track it every few months;

- Also see if the wiring harness has been upgraded, as this is something that may leave you stranded one day (about $1,000 parts/labour);

- Tires;

- Rotors/pads;

- Though Porsche recommends transmission fluid change at 120k kms, I changed mine at 55k kms, and it solved some gear grinding mainly betwen 5th and 6th) - mind you, it's very hot here in Dubai, and like I said, the car is occasionally tracked;

- Battery.

I love 930s (and it would be worth hanging on as an investment), but it's night/day when comparing to a 997S, which is faster, more comfortable, safer...

What options does the 997S have?

Good luck.

Mr986

Out of curiosity, are you sure he paid $97K for a 07 Carrera S. That's pretty hgh even with options. I'd think that car should go for something in the $50K+ range.

sorry for the confusion--the original sticker was $97K; he got it for under $50K.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to ask:

Any suggestions on track tires in 18" sizes? The R888 looks to be the only tire in 18" sizes that has an OD close to stock.

Also, what are the suggested alignment settings for a stock suspension car that will be on the track?

thanks again.