Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

05 CTT Hitch and wiring - School me on it please

I have the 05CTT.

When I got it, the hitch already installed (OEM), as well as wiring harness. Looks like the hitch was never used (no scratches at all and connector seems never used either).

The other day got to look into it a bit more.

Unscrewed the little plate covering the wiring connector on the car.... and saw what I show in PIC 1.

So here are my questions:

1. Does the car come with harness that already has ability for brake control?

2. Is there anything else I would have to buy to gain the brake control capability if I needed to have it, with this harness/setup?

3. If I only wanted to use the hitch to tow trailer with straight 4 connector, do I still need to buy a kit that used brake control, or just any kit that plugs into this connector in pic, that translates into 4 straight connector?

PIC 2 shows what I just purchased. It is a connector that is supposed to plug into the 7 blade connector I exposed, and on the other side - PIC 3 - has a 7 blad connection (assuming to trailer which includes brake control, lighting, etc), as well as a connection to a 4 straight connector for a trailer with this connection.

4. Will that setup work on my car? Do not want to screw anything up here...the package does not have Porsche cayenne listed at all, but the connectors on the car side seem to line up exactly, as the ones from the harness under the plate that I exposed.

Help will be greatly appreciated here. Thanks in advance.

post-79141-0-03473200-1363628594_thumb.j

post-79141-0-73533200-1363628598_thumb.j

post-79141-0-71415900-1363628603_thumb.j

The standard 7 pin connector is universal, so buying one that isn't PORSCHE is fine.....no issues there.

No for brake controller.....the caynne does NOT have an installed brake controller. However it is wired for one. If you pop the driver side knee panel off, you will see a connector (4 pin i believe). You can install any aftermarket controller there.

If you don't need the brakes, you can just use a standard 7 pin RV to 4 pin connector adapter....or even just plug in the 7 pin without trailer brakes....

I typically am towing bobcats and whatnot, so they are right at the weight were i would want a trailer brake.....but i have towed without it and while you can certainly feel the weight, the CTTs have plenty of brake power to allow for save towing.

Excellent! So I don't have to return the connector kit then.

Any preference as to which brake controller is a good one for CTT here? Just in case in the future I decide to have a need to use it?

Saw some pretty fancy ones, and some basic ones without any understanding what different features are and what is useful and what is just a gimmick.

As to the 4 pin straight, I think I will just use the kit I just bought, and it can still be used if I decide to add the brake controller (which based on your remarks should be as simple as buying and connecting one in the front).

So I bought the Hopkins 7 blade connector that also has a 4 straight connector on side as pictured above.

When I hooked up to the trailer, I observed:

- left directional works fine

- right directional works fine

- stop lights work fine

- tail lights (ones that are supposed to go on once you turn the headlights on) are NOT on.

Trying to figure out what the issue is. Bought one of them 4 straight testers, plugged in and the only led that is not on is the tail lights one. The others are on when plugged into the hitch connector.

So what could it be? Is the connector I bought not the right one for the CTT? I thought they were universal in a way that if they plug in, they will work. Connection from car harness to the rear of the connector I bought seemed to be identical. Plugged right in.

Thanks for help in advance.

the bottom picture....the module would normally be above that.....basically right under the "shelf" that is formed below the rear window....if you pull the side carpet away from the wheel well, there might be a loose plug basically in the center between the carpet and wheel well.

If the plug is there then you don't have a control module.....if it isn't there, then it means the module is already hooked up.