Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2003 tt

WP1ZZZ9PZ4LA82953

hi guys I finally bit the bullet and replaced my valve body because of the 5th to 4th hard downshift but I was also experiencing problems when slowing from 3rd to 2nd .now the valve body has been correted its easy to see the transfer case is on its way out it sounds like the clutch is grabbing and releasing at very slow speeds ,pulling away etc its sounds like straight gears .my question is what are my options for buying ,I would prefer a recon unit because of the expense ,is it compatible with any other model touareg etc?

Just a quick update and warning to others ,I changed the front tires to match the rears and the clunking has completely gone ,which has saved me some serious money, in future I will always change all 4 at once, it seems the difference in tire pattern was causing all the problems...

+ 1 - had similar issue when I purchased my 04' CS in 2010. Same brand of tire were mounted, but different treads patterns (!) front to rear. Changed all four tires to same brand/tread pattern and the clunk disappeared. Porsche PSM/traction control is very sensitive, apparently.

Any full-time 4WD system is sensitive to tires, both pattern and wear. If the pattern causes a difference in rolling diameter, that means some wheels will be turning faster/slower than others, ditto on wear. That results in the limited slip differentials fighting against the difference in rotational speed.

A good friend with an Escalade had a problem burning out center differentials. He mentioned it to me - after going through three of them (under warranty Thank Dog..) I asked if he had replaced any tires on the truck. Turns out he'd had a damaged tire that required replacement.. The dealer was smart enough to replace both tires on that axle, but not smart enough to replace all four, and there was a considerable difference in wear between the front and rear tires.

Dealer listened - and replaced the other two tires. Hasn't had a problem since then.

Just a FWIW - one of the "hidden" expenses of owning a truck made to be capable in bad traction conditions. And a good reason to do front/rear tire rotations every 6,000 miles or so (I do it when I swap winter/summer rims/tires.)

Good information. Thanks for the recommendation. Curious how many miles owners get out of set of tires, on average? I rotated annually (10K miles), and got about 30K miles out of recent set. I will reduce the rotation interval on the new set!