Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil drip but not RMS? Help!!!

Here are two pics I took to visually explain the situation. I noticed a drop of oil on the floor of the garage but it was not in the typical RMS location. It was oil dripping just in front of the exhaust tip on the drivers side. Of course I am going to take it in but I am curious what in the world this could be? Also attached a pic of the passenger side shot of the same location and it shows a nice oil coating as well but no drip. Any thoughts?

post-315-1110312834_thumb.jpg

post-315-1110312850_thumb.jpg

Tighten up the 2 bolts on the cam solenoid covers. (10 mm I think) This might stop the leak. Most of these covers leak or at least sweat oil. If that does not fix it and you do not want to be raped by a dealer, clean the covers and surrounding area with gumout and wipe dry. Loosen (do not remove) the 2 bolts enough so you can pry the cover away from the block by the thickness of a quarter. Squeeze some liquid gasket between the cover and the block and very lightly tighten the 2 bolts. Wait 24 hours and make the 2 bolts nice and snug. Your leak is not permanently fixed.

The leak could also be coming by way of the spark plugs cavities due to a bad "o" ring on one of the tubes in the head.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

The car is still under warranty so I will just take it to get repaired. My guess was cam cover as well. Oh well, here goes another couple days that I will be without the car. ARRGGHHH.

The car is still under warranty so I will just take it to get repaired.  My guess was cam cover as well.  Oh well, here goes another couple days that I will be without the car.  ARRGGHHH.

If it makes you feel any better, resealing the cam covers are only a few hour job. They should be able to have your car back to you by the end of the day.

I had a leak ( slow drip ). Turned out to be the oil/air separator boot which leaked. It also triggered the engine light. Boot was 30 bucks or so, labor about 600 bucks. Now all is clean and dry I may add.

HarryR C2 1999

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally took it in to get fixed. Took all of 1/2 a day.

Result????

Leaking O-Rings on Spark Boots Bank 2. Whatever that means. They replaced (3) 999 707 343 40 and (3) 999 707 215 40 Rubber o-rings.

And they also cleaned all the oil that had accumulated. Now, she's all ready for the track weekend!!!

Thanks for all your input.

Dell

• Admin

Hmm... were all the o-rings were black (instead of black and red)? If they were (all black) and they only replaced 3 of them then you may need to make another visit. This is a known problem on early MY99 engines and the TSB implied you should change them all to the new style.

Oh rats! I had no idea to check something like that. I would have to call them back and find out. It looks like thre were 6 total rings used (3 with one part number and 3 with another). My car is a 2000. Do you think I need to folow up? If so, can you direct me to the TSB so I can talk to my service guy.

Thanks Loren,

Dell

• Admin

Both... if the ones they took out are both (inside and outside) then they are the old ones and all should be replaced. If they took out red and black ones then they are the new style and then they should only replace the leaking ones.

The new ones they put in almost have to be red and black as I don't think you can get the older ones anymore.

So I finally took it in to get fixed.  Took all of 1/2 a day. 

Result????

Leaking O-Rings on Spark Boots Bank 2.  Whatever that means. They replaced (3) 999 707 343 40 and (3) 999 707 215 40  Rubber o-rings.

And they also cleaned all the oil that had accumulated.  Now, she's all ready for the track weekend!!!

Thanks for all your input.

Dell

I think I have the same problem. I took my 2001 C4 yesterday because of a leak on the same spot you have( thanks for this thread).I was told it was the O-rings that protects the spark plugs from oil. Anyway I was qouted $ 527 for parts and labor for the six rubber o-rings. While they are on the spark plugs to check for it if it needs replacement. I have 24,900 miles on my car and was told by the SA that porsche recommends 30,000 mile for spark plug change, Is this true? Is $ 527 just right for the job and parts? I told SA if that porsche recommneds 30,000 miles for spark plug change that to change it now as i was only 5,000 miles off and save me on labor charges as well as another trip to the dealership which is about 120 miles from my place.

30,000 miles interval for spark plug? is'nt it a little bit frequent. I have a ML 430 and mercedes told me 80,000 to 100,000 miles for a spark plug change( 16 of them, ouch). and you know how much porsche sells their OEM 4 + spark plugs- $15 each. cross check it with Bosch 4+($5.99 each) and came back as not recommended. I told SA to put the OEM porsche spark plugs( $90)

What do you think guys? was it a steal(bargain) :) or steal(stollen) <_<

I paid zero (warranty). But my invoice still shows the labor and parts. 6 rings and 1.9 hours of labor (1.3 for replacement of the rings and .6 for cleanup of oil on engine). That job should cost you $300 max by my calculations.

• Moderators

The spark plugs are removed to replace the O-rings. I hope shops are not charging for replacing the O-rings and inspecting/replacing the spark plugs, as it takes no extra time to put in your used or new plugs. My dealer also replaces the plastic tubes at the same time because they are sometimes split, or chip when they are pulled out of the cam cover.

post-4-1113449221_thumb.jpg

Oops! I'm sorry didn't realise that you mentioned it was done under warranty. Anybody knows how much usually this repair runs including parts if it was done outside of warranty so that I can compare to what the SA told me. At this actually, the car is in the dealership and will pick-up either tomorrow.

What I quoted you is exactly what I would have had to pay had it not been for warranty since they print out the invoice for me and then it just says warranty paid...balance zero. That way I have a record.

Good luck with yours. Stick to yuor guns and question the charges!