Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Possible MAF issue

Hi everyone, I think I may have a MAF problem, Im getting some surging and hesitation which seems to be getting worse. A few months back my opc said that they thought there might be an issue after they test dove it.

My question is, if I disconnect it to help isolate the problem an then later reconnect will it throw a cel, and if so will I need a code reader to clear it, secondly, can I clean it with throttle body cleaner.

Thanks in anticipation.

2000 2.7 tip with 80k miles

If the MAF is beyond cleaning, it would already have thrown a code and likely a CEL. You can clean the MAFwith electronic parts cleaner or MAF cleaner. Other cleaners/solvents sometimes have lubricants that will only make it worse. I don't know what disconnecting it will do - if it is the problem, then disconnecting won't tell you anything. I've been told that the MAF wears out slowly over time. Cleaning it can prolong he life but not bring it back to new-like functioning. I have been cleaning mine a few times a year since 2006 but I think it is about worn out. Having a code reader is a good idea and the MAF codes can typically be cleared with a basic reader. You may have pendig codes that knowing about would help you with diagnostics but not yet causing a CEL.

Thanks for the reply, the reason I ask about disconnecting the Maf is that I understood that if you disconnect it it forces the ecu to run on default values thereby resulting in smoother running and thus identifying the Maf as the problem. I just need to know whether disconnecting it will throw a cell.

As Loren says, If you disconnect the MAF you may get a fault code stored, but on a UK car you probably won't get a CEL, as the DME is programmed differently for CEL activation compared to US cars. You may well get the ABS/PSM light, as the DME will be sending implausible signals to the PSM controller.

I've had loads of problem similar to this. Throwing up codes related to O2 sensors etc. turned out to be a perished o ring on one of the tuning pipes. This resulted in a vacuum imbalance in the crank case causing all these conflicting fault codes. Simple fix really a smear of instant gasket. Mine was running really rich and chugging like a steam engine. Misfiring on 4, 5 and 6. Look for tiny oil leaks on breather pipes could point to fault I've described